[unrev-II] IP Protection & Licensing

From: Peter P. Yim (yimpp@cim-oem.com)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 18:32:02 PST

From: "Peter P. Yim" <yimpp@cim-oem.com>

Ref : response to question no. 11 (additional comments)
by Eugene Kim <eekim@eekim.com> on 2.12.2000 01:22
where he said,

> The choices for question 9 above are not quite accurate. Protecting
> by copyright, for example, is not exclusive to releasing something
> under the GPL or making something freely available.

where question 9 was the question:

> 9. Assuming you are the decision maker, what
> IPR protection/licensing arrangement would you make?

> for
> (i) The OHS System
> (ii) The DKR Content
> (iii) The composite DKR system
> (iv) The Collective IQ of the Boostrap Community

> choosing (for each of the above) between
> (a) Protect by Encryption
> (b) Protect by Patent/Copyright
> (c) Some Variant in-between
> (d) Go with GPL
> (e) Allow Free Distribution
> (f) Put into Public Domain

Well, Eugene, thank you for pointing this out.
I guess, limited by space available in the column label, we had to
summarily represent the various options. Where, (b) represented the
traditional patent/copyright IP protection route, (d) the GPL/copyleft
route, and (e) the Free BSD license route. I'm almost certain, you, and
most others, know what those labeled options were getting are. Anyhow,
you are technically correct; and I am sure it helps to be more specific
about it.

Paul Fernhout already gave us a great overview on issues around this
topic in his 2.2.2000 23:54 posting (see
<http://www.bootstrap.org/dkr/discussion/0228.html>). For those
interested, one very good article I would recommend is "The State of
Free Software Licensing" by Bruce Perens (who is the primary author of
the "Open Source Definition") published on the July'99 issue of Linux
Magazine. It is available at
<http://www.linux-mag.com/1999-07/opensource_01.html>

Regards,
PPY

Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa. ZERO. Rates as low as 0.0 percent Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no hidden fees, and much more. Get NextCard today and get the credit you deserve. Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at <a href=" http://clickme.onelist.com/ad/NextcardCreative6CI ">Click Here</a>