Re: [unrev-II] How DKR Penetration Will Be Achieved

From: Hirohide Yamada (hyamada@dd.catv.ne.jp)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 08:15:37 PST

    From: Hirohide Yamada <hyamada@dd.catv.ne.jp>

    Sorry for the late response to this, but this email was sticking in my
    mind. When we want to apply the ABC model to an existing organization
    whose objective is to make the business more efficient in pursuit of the
    bottom line, I come across with the same issue as you do.

    Lets suppose that all of a sudden, we recognize that there is a serious
    attack coming to the people on the earth from a planet in the universe.
    In this situation, what we need to do is to operate the existing
    organizations as it is to keep the economical system working for our food,
    but also everybody has to protect earth from the attack from the universe.
    This activity has to be incorporated into day to day activities so that what
    we do day to day should also add value to help earth from other planet.

    To me, C level activities in different level has to do with directing our
    day to day activities to help protect earth from the attack from the planet
    in such a way that it also help run the existing economical system.

    We of course must be strategically smart collectively and need DKR. Then
    what would be the functions and organization of the DKR and how would
    ABC model and NIC be organized?

    Hirohide Yamada, Astec Inc.

    Eric Armstrong wrote:

    > From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>
    >
    > My view of things so far, is that the B-level activity says "if we get
    > people together,
    > they'll work more efficiently". The idea is then to put people near each
    > other. Of
    > course everyone can't be near everyone else, so we have to choose which
    > people
    > are near each other, sharing common areas and lunch rooms and so forth.
    >
    > A company might put marketing next to development, or marketing may be
    > placed
    > close to sales, or executives next to the shop floor -- whichever
    > arrangement the
    > company things will bring the best results is the arrangement they
    > choose. It's an
    > improvement that's undertaken for the beneficial effect on productivity.
    >
    > The question I asked myself was: "If making common areas and lunchrooms
    > is a
    > B-level activity, then would be a C-level activity in the same arena?" I
    > only
    > came up with one answer, although there may be better possibilities. The
    > answer
    > I saw was that "improving our ability to improve" would be tantamount to
    >
    > investing in an infrastructure that made it possible to change physical
    > adjacency
    > easily, in order to put marketing in contact with developers for a
    > while, and then
    > later "redress the balance" by putting them close to sales for a while.
    >
    > My intuition (a tricky thing) tells me that the semi-ludicrous notion of
    > "offices on
    > skids" captures the essence of what it means to "improve our ability to
    > improve".
    > Any such endeavor must, to my mind, involve a reorganization or a
    > restructuring
    > or a change in the way we do things.
    >
    > Suppose Citigroup develops a DKR, for example, as they aim to do. Making
    > it
    > "work" requires workers contributing to that repository from around the
    > globe,
    > allow "best practices" to surface through comparison, and changing the
    > culture
    > so that contributing to the repository and choosing a better solution
    > offered by
    > someone else is rewarded so well that people are not tempted to hold on
    > to their
    > own solutions with a death grip, in order to achieve advancement. Those
    > are not
    > easy things to achieve!
    >
    > But the important point in all that is the notion "improving your
    > ability to improve"
    > requires *change* -- fundamental, basic, gut-wrenching change to the way
    > the
    > organization does things. If for no other reason than the cost of change
    > itself,
> [...]

    GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
    as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
    Apply NOW!