Re: [unrev-II] Field report: Twiddler chord keyboard

From: Neil Scott (ngscott@arch.stanford.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 17:33:15 PST

    From: Neil Scott <ngscott@arch.stanford.edu>

    Response to Henry

    The Archimedes Total Access System interface allows you to use your Palm
    Pilot to emulate the keyboard and mouse functions on a computer. It is
    surprisingly convenient to use since the keyboard and mouse functions
    are performed on the same device. It is very comfortable to use for
    doing text editing and making corrections. It is infinitely better than
    the twiddler. We have also figured out how to write on a palm pilot in
    the dark -- last week, we had a blind person accurately entering data
    into a PC using graffiti on the Palm Pilot.
    IBM has demonstrated speech recognition on the Palm Pilot which means it
    is possible to talk, point, and make corrections from a single hand-held
    device.
    bye
    Neil Scott
    Archimedes--

    Henry van Eyken wrote:

    > From: Henry van Eyken <vaneyken@sympatico.ca>
    >
    > I doubt I'll be contributing much new here, but ever since I gave the
    > Fleabyte course (on 1 - 4 Kb Casio, Sharp, Tandy pocket computers), I've
    > been dreaming of a silent, convenient input device one can carry on the
    > person -- which is where personal computers belong.
    >
    > One could wake up in the middle of the night and jot down an idea without
    > disturbing anyone.
    >
    > Way back when, I heard about a throat microphone that creates sound from
    > silent speech. Imagine a throat microphone to talk to one's computer. Kind
    > of frees the hands.
    >
    > Henry
    >
    > P.S. Timeframe of that device: ~ 1949 - 50.
    >
    > Eric Armstrong wrote:
    >
    > > From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>
    > >
    > > Thanks for the report. I'm interested in devices like this.
    > >
    > > How is it for doing ctrl+key and alt+key sequences?
    > > >From your description, it seems that the device would be
    > > best for doing letter-commands in conjunction with the
    > > mouse, and small edits where the amount of text is very
    > > limited.
    > >
    > > That can be A-ok for a lot of work. For example, browsing
    > > emails. When authoring a response, though, it would seem
    > > to make sense to grab the keyboard.

    > > GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 0.0%
    > > Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!
    > >
    > > Shortcut URL to this page:
    > > http://www.onelist.com/community/unrev-II

    > Apply NOW!

    PERFORM CPR ON YOUR APR!