Re: [unrev-II] [Fwd: RE: Traction, by Twisted Systems]

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 13:07:15 PDT

    Something on missed on the first viewing, but got on
    the second: There really is no sense of "hierarchical
    document" in Traction. So a message like the one below
    goes out as one contiguous whole, rather than a collection
    of paragraph-sized fragments. The only for your comments
    to appear "in context", therefore, is for you to edit
    the node directly. Fine for a single comment, but breaks
    down quickly in a long discussion, especially given the
    lack of hierarchical display-controls in such a setting.

    I'm still impressed they managed to integrate version,
    categorizing (plus re-categorizing and an audit trail
    of changes), and attributions. But the system as it stands
    today seems to run more by queries than by browsing, so
    maybe it is more of a "journaling" system than an
    interactive discussion tool.

    Still: Chris assures us that their whole outfit uses it all
    the time, for everything, so possibly there is still a lot
    of power to be gained from the system after resetting one's
    expectations...

    Eric Armstrong wrote:

    > Below are Chris Nuzum's excellent responses to the open
    > questions I had in my Traction overview. The only "gaps"
    > in the system appear to be:
    > a) Evaluations
    > This is something I neglected to mention previously.
    > so Chris might have a response to this, as well. The
    > idea is having the ability to record evaluative
    > comments, along with a rating (e.g. 1..5), that can
    > be averaged, so that entries can be sorted by rating.
    >
    > b) Distributed Operation, like email
    > I seem to be in a minority on this subject. So maybe
    > it's not as relevant as I think it is. Chris says
    > below that adding "not yet read" flags isn't that much
    > overhead -- the real issue is an interface decision:
    > deciding what constitutes "read". (Went through that
    > same question myself. Decided that the two mail systems
    > I've seen got it right: A configurable number of
    > seconds after you've visited a node counts as "read",
    > plus you can always change it back.
    >
    > c) Fast Reduction Mechanism
    > Chris points out that you can do individual reductions
    > by changing the tags on a node. So a mechanism does
    > exist that allows for reduction. I'm still seeing an
    > "edit copy of subtree" operation that allows me to
    > reorganize nodes, remove them, and then post the new
    > version of the tree as a replacement -- but that is a
    > fairly document-centric operation. When "documents"
    > are totally virtual, resulting from a query of database
    > nodes, its hard to see exactly what such an operation
    > implies -- what happens to the nodes I deleted with
    > respect to other views?? Still, I expect there is an
    > answer somewhere.
    >
    > Overall, when you compare this system to my earlier list of
    > OHS requirements, this system meets the large majority of
    > them. So I continue to give it an enthusiastic thumbs up.
    > [Chris: I'll send you that list.]
    >
    > Eric Armstrong wrote:
    > >
    > > Before I get to the details, a word on marketing:
    > > The system was presented as a "hypertext journaling
    > > system". The web site calls it a "web journal". That
    > > synopsis does a serious injustice, in my opinion. To
    > > me, that doesn't really sound like much -- and I didn't
    > > look very deeply at it when I visited the site. But the
    > > demo convinced me that I had missed a diamond.
    >
    > Thanks for the compliment. We've worked hard on this, and as we all
    > know from Doug's experience,, getting the message out about this kind
    > of system can be difficult.
    >
    > > Overview
    > > ========
    > > Traction lets remote correspondents investigate, explore,
    > > and collaborate on ideas -- tracking them as they are
    > > gathered and saving them in a queryable database running
    > > on a Java-based server that is accessed through a Web browser.
    > > At the moment, the system is SGML-based, but they are
    > > investigating and XML-ization of it.
    >
    > Actually, what I meant was that our background was in SGML systems;
    > Greg Lloyd and I met at EBT, where we worked on DynaText. Traction
> [...]

    Good friends, school spirit, hair-dos you'd like to forget.
    Classmates.com has them all. And with 4.4 million alumni already
    registered, there's a good chance you'll find your friends here: