[unrev-II] Why WBI?

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 13:51:34 PDT

    It occurs to me to reopen the question, why WBI?

    It appears to me that we had several goals in pursuing
    that avenue:
      1) Show people what it would be like to use one

      2) Use a "fast track, first cut" system ourselves, to
         help design the next generation

      3) Begin producing a code base we could evolve from.

    Were there any other goals that the WBI proposal achieved?

    Here is my take on matters, at the moment:

      1) We have identified a large number of existing
         projects that appear to be moving down a parallel
         track. One or more of these may well provide a
         sufficient demo of the capacities of such a system.

      2) Because they already exist, one or more of those systems
         may be more useful to us than one we build ourselves,
         because we don't have to wait until it's built before
         we can use it, and it gives us more food for thought on
         what we would do better.

      3) Experience with page-annotation systems suggest that
         email-based conversations are still the norm, which
         suggests that the annotation-model is missing something
         very fundamental with respect to human usability.

      4) Without the preliminary analysis and fundamental design
         work to identify what it is we really need to build, we
         are liable to invest a lot of time and energy in efforts
         the culiminate in a virtual dead end.

    That said, I'm still open to a discussion of what the WBI
    proposal is, what it buys us, and why we want to pursue it.

    GET WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE FREE! GET THE OFFICIAL COMPANION
    TO TELEVISION'S HOTTEST GAME SHOW PHENOMENON PLUS 5 MORE BOOKS FOR
    $2. Click for details.