[unrev-II] advocate of BSD license

From: Eugene Eric Kim (eekim@eekim.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 19:42:24 PDT

    Assuming that we're in agreement on using an open source license, my own
    personal opinion is that we use a BSD-style license, most likely the
    Apache license. In reality, I don't think there's an effective difference
    between the GPL and BSD-style licenses. What I mean by that is, in
    reality, the GPL license is not as viral as people suggest, and BSD-style
    licenses are not as unviral as people suggest. So in terms of how
    commercial-friendly the license is, how much the license encourages
    contributions, etc., I really think both licenses are about equally
    effective.

    However, the GPL has several problems. One is simply perception. There's
    a perception that the GPL is less commercially friendly than BSD licenses,
    even though I disagree with that notion. Second, GPL has a fundamental
    flaw in that it depends on a rigorous definition of boundaries between
    software. This flaw has already caused problems. I have seen two types
    of solutions. The first, the LGPL, doesn't do a better job of defining
    things than the GPL does. The second, the Linux approach, where the group
    leader more rigorously defines his intentions (i.e. writing proprietary
    kernel modules does not violate the Linux license) is okay, but may not
    hold up so well legally.

    The BSD license is clear, it's flexible, and it's short. The reason I
    suggest using the Apache license as a model is that their organizational
    model is similar to ours (non-profit umbrella organization sponsoring the
    project, with public and private funding), and the IBM lawyers have gone
    over its license rigorously. So we can bootstrap on their efforts.

    -Eugene

    --
    +=== Eugene Eric Kim ===== eekim@eekim.com ===== http://www.eekim.com/ ===+
    |       "Writer's block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they        |

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Now the best and coolest websites come right to you based on your unique interests. eTour.com is surfing without searching. And, it's FREE! http://click.egroups.com/1/3013/3/_/444287/_/957322200/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------