Re: [unrev-II] Dynamic, extensible and integrated information spaces

From: John J. Deneen (JJDeneen@ricochet.net)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 11:11:24 PDT

    CALL FOR PAPERS
    Minitrack on Developing and Deploying Collaborative Problem Solving
    Environments

    This Minitrack is Part of the Software Technology Track of HICSS-34
                                                        Maui, Hawaii
                                                     January 3-6 2001

    Collaborative problem-solving environments (CPSEs) are integrated
    environments that enable scientists and engineers to work together to solve
    real problems. CPSEs enhance researchers' productivity by providing seamless
    access to data, computational resources, scientific instruments, and
    colleagues regardless of geographical, organizational, or disciplinary
    boundaries. CPSEs help capture expert knowledge of domain processes and
    automate users' common tasks. Ideally, they:

       * are configurable for novice through expert users
       * eliminate artificial barriers between work, collaboration, and process
         documentation
       * are adaptable, supporting process variation and evolution
       * are capable of dynamically including new resources (e.g. data
         repositories, computational codes, visualization tools)
       * allow cross-disciplinary collaboration by providing domain specific
         views of shared resources, and
       * support all stages of research and design work, from problem
         identification and specification to development of a solution and
         problem resolution.

    Potential components of a CPSE include these:

       * intelligent GUI to support setup and execution of computations and the
         remote use of scientific
       * instrumentation
       * scientific visualization tools
       * data/metadata management
       * tools to launch, monitor, and steer computations across a distributed
         network in real time
       * integrated security for distributed data, resources, communications,
         and computations
       * integrated tools for collaborating with others, and
       * scripting/visual scripting environments.

    In this mini-track, we will discuss the technical challenges and software
    issues of CPSE development. For example,

       * Development of an integrated environment to support scientific
         discovery and the research cycle
       * Component/Service-based architectures to support the construction of
         CPSEs
       * Changing requirements at the desktop
       * Building domain knowledge into the environment
       * End-user extensibility of CPSEs
       * Scientific workflow
       * Technology necessary for developing CPSEs

     Security

       * Secure access to shared resources, real-time collaborations,
         distributed and shared data
       * Tools to integrate into a CPSE (electronic notebooks, conferencing,
         data-sharing, workspaces, etc.)
       * Networking issues (multicast, VPN, security)
       * Collaborative session management, and
       * Experiences developing and deploying CPSEs and collaboratories.

    CPSE is essentially a new research area, developing from advanced Internet
    technologies, collaboration technologies, problem solving environments, and
    made possible by today's Internet infrastructure. The topic area of CPSE
    development is extremely timely, and electronic collaboratories are a timely
    topic of broad relevance in scientific research. We expect that this
    minitrack session will be of interest to researchers and educators in the
    physical, computational, medical and life sciences, from colleges and
    universities, industry and government labs. People engaged in widespread
    collaborations, especially those involving interdisciplinary work, will find
    this minitrack of particular interest.

    To a large degree, CPSEs have evolved from computer-supported cooperative
    work (CSCW), and HICSS has been one of the major conferences where CSCW
    research has been published in the past. We see this minitrack as a good
    opportunity for some cross fertilization between the CPSE research community
    and the CSCW research community and to reach an international community as
    well as industry with this new research area.

    Important Deadlines

    A 300-word abstract is due by April 1, 2000
    Feedback to author on abstract by May 1, 2000
    Full manuscript is due by June 1, 2000
    Notification of accepted papers by August 31, 2000
    Camera-ready copies of accepted manuscripts are due by October 1, 2000

    Instructions to Authors

    Submit a 300-word abstract to one of the minitrack coordinators (listed
    below) by April 1, 2000. Feedback on the appropriateness of the abstract
    will be sent to you by May 1, 2000. Submit a full manuscript by June 1,
    2000. Accepted formats include Microsoft Word, PDF, and Postscript.
    Manuscripts should have an abstract and be 22-25 typewritten, double-spaced
    pages in length. Papers must not have been previously presented or
    published, nor currently submitted for journal publication. Each manuscript
    will be subjected to a rigorous refereeing process. Individuals interested
    in refereeing papers should contact the minitrack coordinators directly.

    Minitrack Coordinators

    Carmen Pancerella
    Sandia National Laboratories
    P.O. Box 969, Mailstop 9012
    Livermore, CA 94551-0969
    Phone: (925) 294-3538
    carmen@ca.sandia.gov

    James D. Myers
    Batelle Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
    MS K8-91, Q Ave
    Richland, WA 99352
    Phone: (509) 376-9558
    Jim.Myers@pnl.gov

    Christine Yang
    Sandia National Laboratories
    P.O. Box 969, Mailstop 9012
    Livermore, CA 94551-0969
    Phone: (925) 294-2016
    clyang@ca.sandia.gov

    Deborah K. Gracio
    Batelle Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
    P.O. Box 999 MS K1-96
    Richland, WA 99352
    Phone: (509) 375-6362
     Gracio@pnl.gov