Re: [unrev-II] Thoughts

From: Jon Winters (winters@obscurasite.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 19:58:28 PDT

    <snip>
    > I think you see where I'm coming from. And in any case, I've been
    > playing around with Zope and Squishdot on my machine at home and I
    > think I can in all honesty say that I like it. A lot. And there are
    > already simple collaboration tools that we can bring together on the
    > main WebLog that may make our life somewhat easier.

    Installing Zope/Squishdot or Slash Engine is another item on my long
    todo list.

    > >This list is already archived on the web. (By the way, does anyone have a
    > >working username/password? The username/password I have doesn't seem to
    > >work anymore.) Many people on this list have personal web sites. If you
    > >have long documents, such as the DKR that Eric was manually maintaining,
    > >put it on the web, and just e-mail the list with a brief note saying that
    > >a revised version is available.
    >
    > I'm finding this rather inadequate. And the fact that login to the
    > list is not automatically managed is a big loss.

    Hmmmm.... What would happen if? If we abandoned this email list and
    moved to a slashdot style forum. As much as I love Slashdot I must
    admit that I check it once or twice a day and rarely reply to the
    stories. I'll submit news about once a month. OTOH I have spent a
    great deal of time reading almost every email on this list and I
    contribute almost every day. (often more than once per day)

    If we were to dump the list and move to a web based forum I would spend
    a lot less time and energy on this project. The pattern is the same
    with the other open source projects that I'm involved in. (gimp,
    gphoto, PageCast, and OpenVerse) I'm on the -devel list for each and I
    follow along and watch what the developers are talking about. When I
    see a way that I can help or contribute I jump in and do what I can.

    I guess what I'm saying is that there should be different levels of
    interactivity because different folks have different preferences. Email
    will work for some... others might like NNTP or HTML better. Still
    others might hang out in a chat room all the time swapping ideas.

    --
    Jon Winters  http://www.obscurasite.com/jon/

    "Everybody Loves The GIMP!" http://www.gimp.org/

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------ You have a voice mail message waiting for you at iHello.com: http://click.egroups.com/1/3555/3/_/444287/_/957408680/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------