Re: [unrev-II] Re: Bootstrap: 1-paragraph summary

From: Rod Welch (rowelch@attglobal.net)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 00:53:22 PDT

    Hi,

    Part of the reason is a hold over from an outdated era of inequality, etc.

    Another reason is that man/machine provides better literation. It sounds
    better, as in the story where Micky Mantle asked Paul Simon why he used Joe
    Dimaggio in his song Mrs. Robinson. Micky thought he had better numbers than
    Joe, and so to be fair, his name should have been used. Paul is reported to
    have explained that he tried using Micky, but it didn't sound as good with the
    rest of the lyrics.

    The same kind of thing comes up in other areas, for example "person whole" just
    doesn't work as well as "man whole," for street access to underground
    utilities. As well, hurricane bill, doesn't seem to convey as strong a meaning
    as "hurricane Jane," for some reason, although to be sure, we are struggling to
    make do with this change.

    Yee Su Ling wrote:

    > This is good, I think we are getting there. I too like what Warren
    > did.
    >
    > --- In unrev-II@egroups.com, Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@e...>
    > wrote:
    > > Another take on the "big picture" summary:
    > >
    > > The goal of the project is to create a man/machine symbiosis that
    >
    > I don't think it's a good idea to leave out half the population. It's
    > so easy to add "hu", I'm beginning to wonder why it isn't. I've seen
    > and heard this omission so many times now here and during the
    > colloquium, I'm stunned. \ Su-Ling
    >
    > > augments human thinking in ways that increase our ability to
    > > collaboratively investigate and solve complex problems. Such
    > problems
    > > include the impending energy crisis, as well as the prospect of
    > > "runaway" technological threats stemming from genetic engineering,
    > > biotechnology, or nanotechnology -- either intentionally or
    > > inadvertently. Less urgent, but equally complex problems targeted
    > > by the system include deliberations over fiscal policy,
    > jurisprudence,
    > > and the design of future knowledge management systems. To support
    > > these goals, the system will support rapid authoring and
    > interaction.
    > > It will be easily searched, promote unprecedented levels of
    > information
    > > organization, evaluation, and reuse, and it will allow for the
    > > development of next-generation systems that perform some forms of
    > > automated reasoning. Above all, it's major goal is to assist us in
    > > dealing with very high levels of complexity, both individually and
    > > collectively.

    Take your development to new heights. Work with clients like Dell and
    pcOrder. Submit your resume to jobs@liaison.com. Visit us at