[unrev-II] Re: 6/1/2000 OHS minutes

From: Yee Su Ling (yeemailbox@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 14:59:13 PDT

    --- In unrev-II@egroups.com, Rod Welch <rowelch@a...> wrote:
    > Great notes.

    Yes. That's because Eugene added to it and edited. \ Su-Ling

    > This is the beginning of "knowledge management."
    >
    > Rod
    >
    > Yee Su Ling wrote:
    > >
    > > Minutes drafted by Su-Ling and improved by Eugene:
    > >
    > > OHS Meeting 6/1/2000, SRI Engineering Bldg, EK255
    > >
    > > Present: Doug Engelbart, Marcello Hoffman, Pat Lincoln, Eugene
    Kim,
    > > Eric Armstrong, John Deneen, Warren Stringer, Joe Williams, Tom
    Hill
    > > (conference call), Mary Coppernoll, Su-Ling C. Yee.
    > >
    > > 1) Pat and Doug related news from their Washington trip.
    > >
    > > Pat relayed that Werner Schaer (President, Software Productivity
    > > Consortium) is in favour of OHS, but SPC will not finance OHS
    > > development. However in line with their mission to help member
    > > companies, SPC will hold workshops and meetings on using OHS when
    it
    > > is ready. Doug noted that Werner is disappointed that Curt
    Carlson
    > > (CEO, SRI) is not more proactive. Pat adds that while Curt
    remains
    > > convinced of the benefit and is a strong supporter of the big
    vision,
    > > there's not been any Institute action. SRI is not a cash rich
    place
    > > right now. Curt is also not completely convinced about open
    source.
    > > Doug, on the other hand, is convinced intuitively about the
    importance
    > > of open source, but he noted that it would be nice to have facts
    > > back up his intuition.
    > >
    > > 2) Tom Hill, who cofounded EOE with Jim Spohrer, was
    teleconferenced
    > > in, and introduced himself. We promised to e-mail him information
    > > about the unrev-ii mailing list, so he could participate in
    > > discussions.
    > >
    > > 3) Doug talked with Marcello (before meeting) and came up with
    four
    > > basic vectors to get off the ground:
    > >
    > > 1. OHS is the foundation
    > >
    > > 2. Finding an organization that will take over the
    organizational
    > > operational support. An eg of the need for that is
    international
    > > groups like the Millenium Project.
    > >
    > > 3. Building the DKRs.
    > >
    > > 4. A Fellows program. Inviting people -- executives,
    technical,
    > > HR, etc. -- from other countries and organizations to
    participate,
    > > where these people meet and work on a plan for an
    organization,
    > > building from their experience. Mei Lin Fung, native of
    > > Singapore, has spoken with Singapore government who is ready
    to do
    > > this.
    > >
    > > Marcello reported that his division will be spinning out from SRI
    and
    > > will probably be in a better position as a smaller organization to
    > > support this program. He has spoken to division head Bill Gunn
    about
    > > this, who has expressed interest, but wants to make sure the
    logistics
    > > are sorted out. Discussion follows about this: fellows have to
    > > support themselves, bring something to the table, that it is sure
    what
    > > they want to do is build Improvement Infrastructure, there's
    alignment
    > > and it doesn't turn out to be high-tech tourism.
    > >
    > > 4) Doug spent a day in Washington at the Genova Project. GP is
    > > putting together tools and human systems aspect, providing
    support for
    > > high level decision makers, intelligence, military, policy issues.
    > > Doug talked with them about OHS and addressability. They might be
    > > able to funnel money to us without any overhead time.
    > >
    > > 5) Pat notes that there are ways that can get funding from the
    > > government, model of sustainable project in SRI terms. For it, he
    > > needs a crisp statement of the big goal. A one paragraph
    statement of
    > > the first step in bullets and brief statements, eg. v.1 of
    > > OHS. Powerpoint slides are crucial for government funding.
    > >
    > > Eugene has taken all three summaries that have been done thus far
    and
    > > suggests we work on them to produce the statement for Pat.
    > >
    > > Marcello points out that in marketing, we need to target
    individuals,
    > > look for the hook.
    > >
    > > 6) John suggests a lead: Francis Heylighen who has a cooperative
    > > research agreement with Xerox.
    > >
    > > Eugene observes that there are lots of potential collaborations
    but
    > > we're not at that stage yet. Let's email leads to the list so this
    > > info will be archived for when we get to that stage.
    > >
    > > 7) Doug will do an internal seminar for VA Linux. We're currently
    > > trying to schedule it in three weeks. On the week of the 15th, he
    > > will also present at a workshop organized by SPC that's funded by
    > > ARPA.
    > >
    > > 8) Eugene proposes we move to working on Pat's needs. Because
    Pat had
    > > to leave the meeting early, Eugene proposed to table the first
    > > paragraph until next week, and talk about the second paragraph --
    > > identifying the "first step." Everyone agreed that the key to
    both
    > > paragraphs is the audience that is being targeted, which in this
    case
    > > is the government, people who may not have even heard of Doug.
    > >
    > > Doug suggested starting with software development documents,
    > > determining the multiple views we'd like to have, and
    > > transcoding/translating into that form. Eugene stated that
    central to
    > > doing this was coming up with an intermediate file format.
    > >
    > > Eric asked for a description of Augment's data structures. Doug
    said
    > > that was easily doable, and promised to put a presentation
    together.

    > > Marcello asked whether this first step could be demonstratable as
    > > early as possible. A demonstration would show the value of what
    we're
    > > doing, and would pique people's imaginations. Eugene added that
    the
    > > high-level use cases will outline what we want to demo.
    > >
    > > 9) Discussion of setting up demo of Augment and what's needed for
    > > it. This serves two purposes: It shows the team its
    capabilities, and
    > > can be used during presentations to others. Doug agreed to set
    up a
    > > demo for next week's meeting. Eugene and Joe volunteered to help
    Doug
    > > set it up, if he needs it.
    > >
    > > 10) More general design discussions followed. Doug emphasized the
    > > importance of citing e-mail, and his desire to add addressability
    > > the current hypermail archive.
    > >
    > > 11) Summary of the "first step" discussion. Warren noted the
    > > advantage of having programmers as target community is that we can
    > > attract more programmers to the project. Queries, Directed Graph,
    > > Versioning, organizational bodies, audience in terms of
    > > bootstrapping.
    > >
    > > Eugene noted that there are two "first steps." Our own internal
    > > "first step" and the "first step" for Pat's audience. We can
    work out
    > > this latter paragraph next week, when Pat is back.
    > >
    > > Doug brought up a presentation he is doing for DARPA-funded
    workshop
    > > in two weeks. He's not completely familiar with the audience at
    that
    > > workshop, and solicited ideas for what to present to this group.
    > >
    > > John asked about Collab.net as a possible source of collaboration.
    > > Eugene reminded the group that they had met with Brian Behlendorf
    of
    > > Collab.net a few weeks ago. There's a lot of synergy, but
    funding is
    > > not likely, because Collab.net is a startup. VA
    Linux/SourceForge is

    --------

    > > Shortcut URL to this page:
    > > http://www.onelist.com/community/unrev-II

    Take your development to new heights. Work with clients like Dell and
    pcOrder. Submit your resume to jobs@liaison.com. Visit us at