[unrev-II] Good Servlet Container?

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 14:33:41 PDT

    I am fortunate to have found a small project at
    work that will require managing the display of
    XML data online. That's giving me an opportunity
    to get up the learning curve for Java servlets.

    Does anyone have any reccommendations of the best
    servlet container to use. I've been working through
    Marty Hall's excellent book (Core Servlets and
    JavaServer Pages), and I find that there are two
    viable alternatives, thus far:

    1. Tomcat
       A servlet container that can be run standalone
       or embedded into a full Webserver.
       Pluses:
         * free, open source
         * developers available locally
         * already set to hook up with Apache, MS IIS, or
           Netscape Enterprise servers
         * Apache, at least, is free
       Minus:
         * Fairly difficult to install
         * Known to be somewhat buggy

    2. LiteWebServer (LWS)
       A new one I hadn't heard of until reading Hall's book.
       It's at http://www.gefionsoftware.com.
       Pluses:
         * free
         * open source??
         * easy to install??
         * set to hook up with Netscape FastTrack Server
           as well as Enterprise server
       Minuses:
         * not open source??
         * hard to install??
         * only hooks up with Netscape servers, not
           Apache or MS servers
         * Neither of the Netscape servers it hooks up
           to are open source, or free, it appears.

    Hmmm. Come to think of it, that last couple of bullets
    would seem to decide the issue, regardless of the
    answers to the other two...

    SALESFORCE.COM MAKES SOFTWARE OBSOLETE
    Secure, online sales force automation with 5 users FREE for 1 year!