Re: [unrev-II] Augment + categories = OHS v0.1

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 18:46:40 PDT

    > Gil Regev wrote:
    >
    > ... I totally agree
    > that categories are essential but they should be implemented in a way
    > that preserves the dynamics of the system.
    >
    > In Knoware, relationships have no meaning for the software but they do
    > have meaning to the users. The search tool searches for text in
    > relationships as well as in concepts.

    Both points valid.

    Note:
      * A node can belong to multiple categories
      * The categories are assigned by users
      * A node can change categories, have categories
        added and have them removed.
      * Categories can change
      * Any layer that uses categories for automated reasoning
        that assigns "meaning" to the categories will be a
        layer that operates above the basic system.
      * In the system itself, you will be able to search
        based on categories, or text, or links -- or combinations.

    Additional Notes:
      * I agree with Eugene (in principle) that links should
        be categorizable. I have been calling that feature
        "typed links", but it undoubtedly makes sense to reuse
        the category-capability to accomplish that typing.
      * Just to be sure, though, I think it behooves us to come
        with a use case that requires them. The first idea I
        came up with was "all design notes corresponding to this
        version of the system requirements" -- but that search
        can be satisfied using the type of the link target.
        Any other cases come to anyone's mind?

    Want insight into hot IPOs, investing strategies and stocks to watch?
    Red Herring FREE newsletters provide strategic analysis for investors.