Re: [unrev-II] Encoding Source in XML

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 17:38:43 PDT

    altintdev@webtv.net wrote:

    > Thanks, but I stilll question some of your logic, beginning with the
    > Data Sturutures Ratonal, which I feel is not a realistic example of
    > 'the
    > kind of thing you want to do with XML' or to use to describe its
    > limitations.

    Joe, your thinking is tightly constrained by the XML "box".
    You know how that works, so you're comfortable fitting everything
    into that framework.

    Read this next sentence carefully:
      THE ISSUE IS THE ABILITY FOR AN ABITRARY EDITOR TO
      EDIT AN ARBITRARY DOCUMENT -- AND DO SO CLEANLY AND
      ELEGANTLY.

    What you want is an "outline view" of the document. Not what you
    WILL see in an XML using the encoding that XML currently forces
    --for DocBook, for source code, and every other document in the
    world.

    Please understand that point thoughly before we talk of this next.

    > Also, the idea of a global shared ID attribute will not work (or
    > should
    > not). If we need a new attribute that can occur multiple times, then
    > we
    > need to define a new one, maybe dkrid or something, not break the
    > existing one, which, when you start manipulating documents and
    > fragments, you will find to be very important to keep just like it is
    > now defined in the XML core DOM.

    I don't recall discussing a "global shared ID attribute" in the
    document. Can you tell me what you are referring to?

    Want insight into hot IPOs, investing strategies and stocks to watch?
    Red Herring FREE newsletters provide strategic analysis for investors.