Re: [unrev-II] A new website servlet engine

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 17:54:23 PDT

    > Jack Park wrote:
    >
    > http://opensource.go.com/
    >
    > This seems like a really professional system. Well documented, it
    > might just be a contender for OHS/DKR.

    Interesting site. It includes a pointer to a paper by Jason
    Hunter on the weaknesses of JSP vs. "template engines" like
    the TeaServlet.

    Tea looks like an interesting language, as well. It gets points
    for defining a "foreach" construct, and for translating itself
    into a Java servlet. It loses points for making "&" the
    string-concatenation operator when Java uses "+". Personally,
    I think "&" would probably have been the better choice for
    Java -- but not by enough to live with the compatibility problems
    when I'm working with both languages.

    But mostly, I think it's worth keeping in mind that this is a
    "better JSP" solution. I suspect that the amount of "static"
    HTML we generate will be so small that JSP isn't really useful
    to us anyway. Simple servlets will probably do nicely. (If that
    perspective changes, and we are tempted to use JSP, then the
    Tea system will definitely merit a closer look.)

    Still looking for the complete Application Server solution?
    Find answers and a $75 gift certificate at the Intraware App Server
    Webinar. Sign up at: