Re: [unrev-II] Re: Roll your own browser

From: Paul Fernhout (pdfernhout@kurtz-fernhout.com)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 05:09:44 PDT

    Jack Park wrote:

    > Several contributors to this and the Unrev list (myself included) have long
    > been advocates of Mozilla as a platform for the future. It's available on
    > just about everything.

    I like this idea. It would make a lot of sense, as a key part of any
    information management system is display of information and Mozilla can
    display several interesting types (HTML especially). It can also handle
    email and newsgroups.

    The problem I have with this is I want a Mozilla written in a high level
    language like Smalltalk. Mozilla by itself seems overwhelmingly large
    and complex and I bet a lot of that is due to being in C++. As the Lisp
    people say, any sufficiently complex program reimplements half of Common
    Lisp badly. (or I might add, Smalltalk). I think Mozilla is big enough
    that this applies.

    Squeak has a simple version of a web browser, but it still has many
    omissions and weaknesses.

    -Paul Fernhout
    Kurtz-Fernhout Software
    Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
    http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com

    Last minute trips at
    first-rate discounts
    from Hotwire.