Re: [unrev-II] Towards a summary of documents (including Conceptual Graphs based on existential graphs of Charles Peirce)

From: John J. Deneen (JJDeneen@ricochet.net)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 12:17:46 PST

    I'm sure you'll find the following links about 1) kMail, 2) WebKB and 3)
    Conceptual Graphs based on the existential graphs of Charles Sanders Peirce as
    enabling solutions for powerfully summarizing our Unrev2 mailing list!!!

    1) kMail: E-mail, contexts and views
    In "Tying Knowledge to Action with kMail, " David G. Schwartz and Dov Te'eni
    exploit the Internet and e-mail to disseminate knowledge for the purposes of
    capturing Organization Memory (OM) and "collective IQ". They emphasis the need
    to tie knowledge to action and present the kMail system, which integrates e-mail
    with organizational memories to distribute knowledge over the Internet at the
    right time and to the right person. kMail lets e-mail senders contextualize
    their messages by creating revelant views of the organizational memory. It also
    uses metaknowledge consisting of user profile information and shared semantics
    information. They describe the context through shared metaknowledge and link it
    to the organization memory each time knowledge is used to perform an action.
    Domain-specific criteria help determine the revelant views in the organization.

    IEEE Intelligent Systems, Vol. 15, No. 3, May/June 2000
    http://faculty.biu.ac.il/~dgs/papers/kmail.pdf

    2) WebKB: Ontology-guided knowledge retrieval with conceptual graphs for
    representing metadata on Web documents
    http://meganesia.int.gu.edu.au/~phmartin/WebKB/doc/papers/ieee99/ieee99.ps
    http://meganesia.int.gu.edu.au/~phmartin/WebKB/webkbPrivate.html
    http://meganesia.int.gu.edu.au/~phmartin/

    3) Conceptual Graphs
    Conceptual graphs (CGs) are a system of logic based on the existential graphs of
    Charles Sanders Peirce and the semantic networks of artificial intelligence.
    They express meaning in a form that is logically precise, humanly readable, and
    computationally tractable. With their direct mapping to language, conceptual
    graphs serve as an intermediate language for translating computer-oriented
    formalisms to and from natural languages. With their graphic representation,
    they serve as a readable,
    but formal design and specification language. CGs have been implemented in a
    variety of projects for information retrieval, database design, expert systems,
    and natural language processing.

    http://www.cs.uah.edu/~delugach/CG/