Re: [unrev-II] Japan and IT

From: Hirohide Yamada (hyamada@dd.catv.ne.jp)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 18:20:10 PST

    Mr. Jack Park;

    Human system (society) side is a system that behaves differently
    from technology system. We yet do not know the process of how the
    integrity of a society gets established as the whole in this new
    paradigm change we face.

    An established social system has a feedback mechanism to support
    it from various activities of the society and needs a revolution
    to change the system. This time, the revolution we need is not
    physical revolution but a philosophical revolution. It has to be
    supported voluntarily by people in the system in their day to day
    activities.

    The revolution we need is a change of the priority;

    from -- Science finds, Industry applies and Man Conforms
            (Motto of the 1933 Chicago World's Fair)
    to -- People propose, Science studies and Technology Conforms.
            (Things that make us SMART, 1993 by Donald A. Norman)

    Japan has built a very tightly integrated economical and
    industrial social system as a whole based on the first paradigm.
    Because of this tightness, the revolution has to be planned.
    Doug's model gives us a good foundation for the revolution in my
    opinion.

    Think Japan as the older IBM. How could IBM go through the change
    if it was the whole society not a part of the society.

    We first tried to recruit members for BAJapan such that we involve
    sizable project, but found that if we involve a big project, we
    have to compromise the revolution side. We recently have changed
    the strategy and are trying to recruit core members to do the
    revolution (paradigm change). This process is still slow and
    need whole other discussion and experiment which we are currently
    doing and hope to be able to report the outcome soon.

    I was uncomfortable discussing the human system side in this mail
    list but thanks for the invitation.

    Hirohide Yamada

    Jack Park wrote:

    > Yamada San,
    >
    > I am most pleased to hear this. Could you please use this forum to tell us
    > more about your work?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Jack Park

    eLerts