Re: [unrev-II] OHS Overview

From: Henry van Eyken (vaneyken@sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 18:47:15 PST

    Eric, Frode:

    As far as I know, the original description of the human system in the
    context of man+tool capabilities appears in the 1962 proposal for the Air
    Force, "Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptual Framework.," Part II.
    http://www.histech.rwth-aachen.de/www/quellen/engelbart/1introduction.html

    Might it not be best before publishing anything here to go back to basics
    here? Mind you, I should think that after the 40 years that have gone by
    since the proposal was written, a couple of thoughts might now be developed
    somewhat differently. I lot has been learned about psychology and
    linguistics since. And perhaps about human organizations as well. The
    Whorfian hypothesis, for example, makes no longer a respectable reference,
    nevertheless this does not negate the core conclusion, I don't believe.

    I imagine writing that Section II would today take a substantial team of
    academics from various disciplines and a couple of conventions on the
    subject (and, hence, would not likely to ever have produced that mouse,
    etc.). Nothing against that process, mind you, but for a single, unaided
    individual to produce a proposal that looks fundamentally correct to me is a
    most remarkable thing. One might say, an audacious thing. And definitely a
    thing that already has borne substantial fruit. And those fruits do much to
    speed up the academic process from grants to results. Some "bootstrapping"
    indeed!

    Not being a disciplined philosopher, I plea for the opinion of those who
    are.

    Henry

    eLerts