[unrev-II] Alliance and Partners

From: Rod Welch (rowelch@attglobal.net)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 00:47:11 PST

    Paul,

    Thanks for the support, especially the leads on folks who may want to do KM.

    Theoretically, people who want to do KM are those who feel the pressure of
    information overload, who attend a lot of meetings, get a lot of email, are busy
    with the cell phone, travel, and do conference calls to explain why earnings and
    the stock price are dropping. See for example on 000822...

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/09/22/135853.HTM#0001

    ...and...

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/11/06/161355.HTM

    Another bunch of folks that might like to augment intelligence are seniors
    spending more time at the doctor's office, and worrying about whether to take 3
    red pills and 2 blue ones once per day, or 1 blue and 2 red, 3 times a day.
    Another group would be sureties who worry about losses caused by the high cost
    of medical mistakes, or engineering mistakes, e.g., Firestone, and so on and on,
    and on, as set out in NWO...

    http://www.welchco.com/00601.HTM#8456

    Others have noticed information overload. CBS did a 60 minutes segment, Peter
    Drucker, Doug Engelbart, Andy Grove, Henry Kissinger, indeed everyone on the
    planet feels this pressure.

    Few, however, have made the connection between information overload that causes
    endless mistakes due to meaning drift, and the bottom line. Most top executives
    feel they need more down sizing, meetings, cell phones, email and smarter
    people. No one knows we can augment intelligence to make the people on the job
    smarter, so they can turn that information into useful knowledge. It's a
    dilemma.

    Some on this team are beginning to get the idea that maybe there is a way to do
    this, but achieving that insight has taken 10 months, and even in that case,
    nobody is stepping up to say, "Hey, I wanna turn information into knowledge
    tooooo. " "I wannna save time and increase earnings. I do wannna fire people
    -- how do can we add "intelligence" to management?" Nobody is saying that.

    There remains a healthy skepticism expressed by Henry van Eyken on 000926, which
    only experience can overcome. Other people have to jump in the deep water of KM
    through pilot testing in order to build a base of confidence that investing
    intellectual capital pays off the same way that investing seeds in the ground
    pays off for the farmer.

    That is really the area that needs attention. We have to grow a culture of
    knowledge that enables people to transition from IT to KM. Doug wants to start
    with software engineers. There is not a lot of evidence showing software
    engineers are breaking down the door to do KM, and many of our most talented
    engineers have firm ideas about to do knowledge work.

    As you note in your letter, of the 300K+ hits you got on the Internet for KM,
    none are doing KM. They are all working on a project to create it. My sense is
    the design is a secret that can only be discovered by doing KM. If people want
    to build KM tools, you have to set aside the tool kit for awhile and become
    immersed in the process of doing KM, then pick up the tools again and go to
    work. Right now we have a bunch of expert tool makers, who don't really
    understand the tool that is needed. As you know, that is very hard for highly
    talented people to do. It's a dilemma.

    Anyway, thanks again for the good thoughts.

    Happy Thanksgiving to all...

    Rod