Re: [unrev-II] OHS Overview

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 16:40:05 PST

    The ability to link to paragraphs is of course desirable.
    The existence of an identifier that you can drag and drop
      or copy and paste to create such a link is also a great
      idea.

    Whether those identifiers need to be numbers is debatable.

    I was throwing open the option that a small icon would
    work just as well.

    The numbers are fine as long as the text is not long, the
    hierarchy does not go too deep, and the content remains
    stable, so that 9A4 is always found in the same place.

    The numbers become less useful when:
      a) The numbers become large and/or hierarchies get
         very deep, Here's an extreme case:
            34900AFCDRS6487BGHIC6214

         Something like that is unlikely in an email message,
         might well occur if information contained in a database
         were somehow added to the system.

      b) Things move around, so that 9E6 becomes the first
         entry in the document, and 3A7 is the last.

    In either of those two cases, a simple icon may be as
    useful, from the standpoint of accessing information
    based on the numbers.

    Where numbers are short, though, I agree that the number
    system, in effect, adds new "words" to the vocabulary.

    At some point, for example, we might carry on a conversation
    about the "9D" concept, you refer to below. In that case,
    we have added a new word to our vocabulary (9D) that
    encasulates all the thoughts presented there. (If we were
    happen to talk about that subject a lot, "9D" might come
    to be equated with www.bootstrap.org/index.html#9D, whereas
    when talking about paragraphs in other documents labeled
    "9D", we would have to qualify the name ("Henry's 9D") to
    be clear about what we meant.

    These thoughts just occurred to me, so I am leaning back
    towards numbers, rather than icons -- for the reason that
    they provide a mechansim for adding new and useful words
    to our verbal vocabulary. (Darwinian selection will dictate
    which words emerge as standard.)

    Henry van Eyken wrote:

    > Hope this one is more like it:
    >
    > http://www.bootstrap.org/index.html#9D
    >
    > Henry
    >
    > Henry van Eyken wrote:
    >
    > > I am confounded.
    > >
    > > The paragraph quoted below was in a piece of private correspondence
    > > Frode, with a copy to Nicholas. Interesting how it ended up on this
    > forum.
    > >
    > > At any rate, to clarify, I was concerned with an issue of web-page
    > design.
    > > As for the usefulness of the numbers in working with documents, they
    > serve
    > > for referencing components of documents. Instead of an ordinary URL,
    > we may
    > > now profit from URLs with specific location included. Try <
    > > http://www.bootsrap.org/index.html#9D >. I also understand that this
    > > usefulness is particularly profound when working with Augment.
    > >
    > > Henry
    > >
    > > Eric Armstrong wrote:

    > "funny
    > > > >
    > > > For what it's worth, I agree with Nicholas.
    > > >
    > > > The numbers aren't of much use if you can drag and drop the
    > > > pointers anyway. When that capability didn't exist, I'm sure
    > > > they made life easier.
    > > >

    > > > Community email addresses:
    > > > Post message: unrev-II@onelist.com
    > > > Subscribe: unrev-II-subscribe@onelist.com