Re: [unrev-II] Is "bootstrapping" part of the problem?

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 10:44:53 PST

    > > Imagine a small rural town or village, set upon a hill amid prairies and
    > > woods. Imagine life there flowing in harmony with the earth. Imagine the
    > > people who live there cooperating and caring about each other,
    > > embracing a diversity of social, economic, and spiritual lifestyles and
    > > values. Imagine all kinds of people coming there to learn and see that
    > > there is a way for humans to do good for our planet instead of harm.

    In a former life, I rose to the level of President of the American Wind
    Energy Association, wrote the book _The Wind Power Book_ published by
    Cheshire and originally distributed by Van Nostrand, and taught alternate
    energy courses at Southern California Institute of Architecture, and Goddard
    College.

    In those days, it was common for folks to imagine pastoral scenes, with
    happy children running about, and parents doing great things all in concert
    with a strict adherence to whatever it took to avoid screwing up the
    ecosystem. One individual suggested plowing the streets in Santa Barbara
    and riding horses. I believe it is a common theme among humans to think
    *back*, perhaps to the *good ol' days*, whatever those were, perhaps back
    when life expectency was around 60 years or so.

    Now, I'm not knocking that behavior. I did it myself; I bought some acreage
    in the Sierras, where I still live. While living there, I have watched land
    prices jump due to others thinking the same way. I believe I am saying that
    these pastoral settings are going away, and fast. I am also saying that
    this particular thread is strongly suggestive of the possibility that we are
    about to see yet another rennaisance in 'back-to-the-land' behavior. Maybe
    so, but, in some sense, we need to find ways to 'think out of the box', as
    Apple would have us do. I believe that this is the purpose, maybe even
    suggested value of OHS. In the past, our nation has solved economic problems
    by launching wartime efforts. What are we going to do next?

    Walking with a friend and with Mary Keeler yesterday over the hills above
    Palo Alto, I was told that those hills were protected from development.
    They are, but only until the will of the people (read: politicians) changes
    the rules. For all I know, the safest way to take land out of developer's
    inventory is to sign it over to the Audubon Society. And, maybe that won't
    hold forever. In short, we are beginning to experience the ravages of
    population pressures. Exponential growth, indeed!

    I have a take on this thread, and the progenerative arguments that lead to
    it. I believe that the thread has brought perhaps some of the clearest,
    cleanest, most illuminated thinking of any I have seen in a long time. It
    has been a great thread. It is my hope that it will find its voice in
    solutions other than pastoral settings that are not likely to exist. It is
    further my hope that this thread will find its voice in favor of giving the
    OHS vision, indeed, Doug's vision, a fighting chance to participate in the
    problem solving effort we must mount, and soon.

    Jack Park

    This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
    contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
    the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
    If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
    of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
    immediately.

    Click here for more details: