Re: [unrev-II] Darwin Solves the Frame Problem

From: Henry van Eyken (vaneyken@sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 17:54:58 PST

    Eric:

    Just a few quick notes.

    In the process of paying due regard to the larger purpose of Doug's
    technical work, i.e. the solving of large-scale societal conundrums, I feel
    a need to hastely travel along various byways. Currently that is reading a
    1999 book by John McCrone called "Going Iside" and which provides an insight
    in neuroscience. I haven't quite gotten halfway yet, but I recognize a
    pattern in your argument that corresponds to some of the stuff in the book.

    The neural system, it appears, has a way of ducking the crucial element of
    time. I am just in a part where the author discusses athletic achievements.
    By their training athletes have unconsciously come to rely on clues that
    beat the "critical dimension of time" mentioned in your Conclusion. (Ref.
    the chapter, "A moment of anticipation.".) I haven't sunk deep enough into
    the subject yet to provide a decent summary, but it looks to me that
    Minsky's "Society of Mind" (1985) and Dennett's "Consciousness Explained"
    (1991) are rather dated sources in the fast-moving world neuroscience with
    its ongoing upheaval of ideas.

    I kind of suspect that Dennis Hamilton is informed about some of this stuff.
    And referring to his post "Collective Intelligence," I was going to contact
    you to find out from what post of yours he quoted. At any rate, I can see
    now where you are coming from.

    My guess is that you may find quite a bit of inspiration in McCrone's book
    for a fruitful review of your article. Hope I am not leading you down the
    garden path.

    Henry

    Eric Armstrong wrote:

    > I had planned to work on the KRNL library this
    > weekend, to clean it up some. I didn't get to that.
    > But as a consolation prize, I have a solution to
    > the A/I "frame" problem.
    >
    > Write up at:
    > http://www.treelight.com/essays/darwinframe.html
    >
    > I'm thinking this might be appropriate for Scientific
    > American, or Discovery, or some such layman's guide
    > to science. Anyone have any editorial contacts?

    eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
    Click here for more details