[unrev-II] ... Effective Electronic Communication

From: Grant Bowman (grantbow@svpal.org)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 22:10:48 PST

    Judy Terry and Frank,

    I am forwarding your messages to another mail list where others may have
    some additional resources for you. For related information on this list,
    see Doug Engelbart's website http://www.bootstrap.org.

    For unrev:

    The AFCN is the Association for Community Networking. Community
    Networking used to be called FreeNets among other names. Silicon
    Valley Public Access Link (SV-PAL) was one of these efforts started in
    1994 for Santa Clara County that I was involved with.

    Regards,

    --
    -- Grant Bowman                                   <grantbow@svpal.org>

    ----- Forwarded message from Terry Grunwald <tgrunwald@mindspring.com> ----- From: Terry Grunwald <tgrunwald@mindspring.com> Reply-To: "AFCN Members" <members@listserv.afcn.net> To: AFCN Members <members@listserv.afcn.net> Subject: Re: Guides/instructional materials for Effective ElectronicCommunication??? Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:27:46 -0500 Message-ID: <3A93D062.80920E6C@mindspring.com> X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.75 [en] (WinNT; U) Sender: <members@listserv.afcn.net>

    Judy and AFCN members,

    I have compiled a list of annotated links called "Using Email lists and more: The Power of Virtual Communities on the Net" for a site David Wilcox and I are developing for the Scottish government. There is lots of useful material here under the Learn More section. And elsewhere on the site as well (though it's still under construction). See:http://www.makingthenetwork.org/ngflchannel/help/hlists.htm. Some of the stuff may have moved since we did this (it's hard to keep up).

    --terry

    Judy Hallman wrote:

    > To AFCN members: > > I would like to find materials to help a speaker for our conference > (http://rtpnet.org/rtpconf/) prepare to talk about: > > Effective Electronic Communication: Using Web Pages, E-mail Lists, and > Web-based Forums to Forge and Sustain Effective Community Collaborations > > Many of the people who are participating in RTPnet's project > Triangle Area Centers for Technology (TACT) > have not used e-mail lists and web-based forums before. Are there > resources available to help us use these tools to work together more > effectively? > > Judy Hallman (hallman@rtpnet.org, http://www.rtpnet.org/hallman) > Executive Director, RTPnet, NC (http://www.RTPnet.org/) > > ------------------------------------- > Association For Community Networking > http://www.afcn.net/ ----- End forwarded message -----

    ----- Forwarded message from Frank Odasz <frank@lone-eagles.com> -----

    From: Frank Odasz <frank@lone-eagles.com> Reply-To: "AFCN Members" <members@listserv.afcn.net> To: "AFCN Members" <members@listserv.afcn.net> Subject: Lone Eagle Collaborative Resources Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:27:09 +0000 Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.20010221102709.00c8abfc@lone-eagles.com> X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 1.5.4 (32) Sender: <members@listserv.afcn.net>

    Judy,

    I have listed ten Internet collaborative tools in my Common Ground Internet Guide listed below, with tutorials and sample sites and published an article for ISTE.org on the topic, listed at http://lone-eagles.com/articles/articles.htm The US dept of ed. has a guide to elec collaboration listed at www.ed.gov/Technology I have two online courses for educators which reference many resources, such as the "Mentoring Online" course I created for Annenburg in 1994. See online course references below.

    I've been updating my web site with new resources. I miss the discussions on community networking from the good old days. I still believe the killer app. of the Internet is people helping people, but I see the AOL pitches on TV and wonder what happened to the grassroots community networking movement.

    I have a tachyon Internet dish these days and am teaching teachers online from Alaska to Maine, will present for International school administrators March 6th in Miami, and have been doing many Ecommerce and community development keynotes and workshops.

    Anybody out there doing a great job with something similar to this? -

    The emerging formula related to the most effective training possible for measurable empowerment of people of all cultures and literacy levels will look something like…

    (Time + Motivation + literacy level) ______________________________          =     Level of Benefits (infrastructure quality + targeted training)

    Still kickin'

    Frank

    Here's an UPDATE on FREE community training resources from Lone Eagle Consulting http://lone-eagles.com :

    "Echoes in the Electronic Wind - A Native American Cross-cultural Internet Guide" is online at http://lone-eagles.com/nativeguide.htm. The electronic copy is free, I can offer professionally printed copies for $10/copy plus $2 shipping. Copies can be ordered online at http://lone-eagles.com/store.htm Or, you can print your own copies at no cost from a 177 page WORD '97 file from http://lone-eagles.com/nativeguide.doc

    "Common Ground: A Cross-cultural Self-directed Learner's Internet Guide" You can download and print it from a link at the top of the page at http://lone-eagles.com/guide.htm The full contents are web-clickable as well. Printed copies are available for $10/copy plus $2 shipping. Included is a listing of Ecommerce Start-up Training Resources, and much more. I also have a new "Good Neighbor's Guide to Community Networking" at http://lone-eagles.com/cnguide.htm 11 chapters with a bibliography of community networking guides. (A printed version will soon be available for $10, plus $2 shipping.) My best listing of resources and articles for 'Building Learning Communities" is listed at http://lone-eagles.com/teled.htm Two online courses for educators are included, with all lessons freely accessible.

    My other articles, including community grant templates are at http://lone-eagles.com/articles/articles.htm Including....

    Community Bootstrap Project: Learning to Do for Ourselves; Together! http://lone-eagles.com/articles/boot2.htm Boilerplate text for YOUR community networking grant!!

    Culture Club: A Cultural and Community Survival Concept Paper A youth-based multi-cultural community development strategy. http://lone-eagles.com/cultureclub.htm Includes a Lone Eagle Apprenticeship Youth Ecommerce program. Please share all the above without restriction!

    At 08:47 AM 2/21/01 -0500, you wrote: >To AFCN members: > >I would like to find materials to help a speaker for our conference >(http://rtpnet.org/rtpconf/) prepare to talk about: > > Effective Electronic Communication: Using Web Pages, E-mail Lists, and > Web-based Forums to Forge and Sustain Effective Community Collaborations > >Many of the people who are participating in RTPnet's project >Triangle Area Centers for Technology (TACT) >have not used e-mail lists and web-based forums before. Are there >resources available to help us use these tools to work together more >effectively? > >Judy Hallman (hallman@rtpnet.org, http://www.rtpnet.org/hallman) >Executive Director, RTPnet, NC (http://www.RTPnet.org/) > > >------------------------------------- >Association For Community Networking >http://www.afcn.net/ > > Frank Odasz Lone Eagle Consulting Email: frank@lone-eagles.com Web: http://lone-eagles.com

    Shortcut URL to this page: http://www.onelist.com/community/unrev-II