Re: [unrev-II] Fwd: Fw: Re: [PORT-L] Goguen's Semiotic Morphisms

From: Matt Placek (mplacek@wegener.com)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2001 - 03:13:18 PDT

    unrev-II@yahoogroups.com writes:
    >Don't let all the fancy words hold you back. This paper is worth at
    >least
    >reading the Introduction.
    >
    >Jack

    ... A quick thought after reviewing the introduction (wish I had time to
    read the full text of all the great articles and papers out there, there's
    just so much info and so little time... sigh)

    Many of the approaches to building ontologies seem to be fixated on a
    'present-tense' description of the nature of things. For instance, his
    graph showing the associationg 'cow gives meat' is not really an accurate
    association, in the sense that no cow (at least none that I know)
    willingly 'give' meat, but the process involves an actual _change_ in the
    nature of the cow. It may be more accurate to say that 'cow + slaughter =
    meat' which is an entirely different relationship, in which the action
    changes the graph entirely by (possibly) reclassifying the cow under the
    relation of 'is-a animal' to 'is food'.

    The issue here obviously is not the slaughter of cows, but how do we
    express the principles by which an entity changes as it is manipulated
    over time? Take for example the association, 'house is red'. But if the
    house is painted, this causes a change in the attribute of the house's
    color form red to, say, green.

    If we have the concept of building knowledge bases with an "SDS-like"
    system as a front end for entering new knowledge, the change of the
    knowledge content over time is an integral part of the system... How do we
    record the relations of cause and effect between actions which have been
    taken over time and the changes in attributes and classifications of the
    entites within the system? It seems this might be integrally bound up
    with some sort of versioning or history within the topic-mapping of the
    system.

    It seems there is a lot of interest in topic maps and RDF type
    descriptions for present tense description of the nature of things, but do
    these mechanisms adequately address the integration of history, preserving
    the cause-and-effect which changes the nature of the reality these things
    describe?

    Just wondering what folks out there are thinking -- (btw, thanks to
    everybody on this list for all the fantastic food for thought over the few
    months i've been lurking)

    Matt

    Matt Placek
    Software Engineer
    Wegener Communications
    mplacek@wegener.com (770)623-0096 x4362

    Get great low international calling rates
    from Net2Phone! Click Here!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/xnHDCB/kJXCAA/4ihDAA/IaAVlB/TM