[unrev-II] Rising Utility Rates

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 14:03:19 PDT

    Despite the horror with which I view rising utility
    rates here in California, I suspect that they are in
    our own long-term best interest.

    I recently saw a PBS special where a building was
    constructed in such a way that it was a net energy
    producer. It collected solar energy (and other
    energy, I think) and stored it in hyrogen/oxygen
    fuel cells, which it used at night to run the lights
    and heat.

    Rising rates will make that kind of construction
    not only feasible, but imperative. The end result
    *could* be a "distributed grid", where every building
    is a self-sufficient energy center.

    But that won't happen while prices are low. Since
    we stand to run out of oil completely in the next
    20-40 years, and since overpopulation continues to
    dwarf our ability to generate power, we will be
    facing a major energy shortage in the not-too-
    distant future.

    Rising rates now mean that we may have sufficient
    time to put alternatives in place. If rates are
    held low until the last minute, we may be faced
    with even more dire consequences.

    Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption!
    Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide,
    "Securing Your Web site for Business." Get it now!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/4cW4jC/e.WCAA/bT0EAA/IaAVlB/TM