RE: [unrev-II] Collaborative Discussion Tools

From: Garold L. Johnson (dynalt@dynalt.com)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 11:45:23 PDT

    Jack Park wrote:
    [snip]
     Rod Welch is fond of pointing out here (and, imho, rightly so) that
    knowledge management requires a massive effort on the part of those who
    participate. My take on that: you get back what you put in. In a
    collaborative environment, you get back a bit more than you put in.
    </Jack Park>

    [Garold L. Johnson] I agree with both points. The question that I raise is
    not ‘if’ the effort is put in, but when and by whom. When I generate
    information I should invest the effort to link it to the material that is
    relevant. When I absorb information that is closely related and well
    structured, I should take the time to form the links. At other times, the
    information is presented to the groups with scarcely more than a link, with
    local context providing the only link.
    As an example, consider the chaordic site that Bernard referenced in the
    earlier message. There is a lot on that site that is of definite relevance
    to the bootstrapping process that Doug is advocating, and that is possibly
    also relevant to the attack on “complex problems”.
    Should Bernard (in an ideal world) have been expected to cross link all of
    the relevant information on that entire site into the structure of our total
    discussion on the process of bootstrapping and the solution of complex
    problems? That seems to be a totally unrealistic expectation.
    More realistic is what actually happens here – we now have a link. Several
    people will look at the material and comment on various parts of it (which
    they would link into the system). This gradually ties the material into ever
    more places as it is digested by those collaborating on it. Assuming that
    the information continues to prove relevant, it will eventually be woven
    into all sorts of places in the knowledge structure. Every now and then
    someone will undertake to do a more thorough job of integration and link
    large amounts of information into the structure.
    It still doesn’t seem reasonable to me to expect, much less require, a high
    level of integration at the rime of introduction for large amounts of
    external material.

    Thanks,

    Garold (Gary) L. Johnson
    DYNAMIC Alternatives <http://www.dynalt.com/>