[unrev-II] Dynamic Context

From: Jack Park (jackpark@thinkalong.com)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 16:12:13 PDT

    The web page: http://www.gen-strategies.com/
    <http://www.gen-strategies.com/>
    The thesis: it's not knowledge management, it's context management.

    Interesting web site, even a work product of its own technology. The
    underlying technology is called jmap (joined map) which can, as the site
    illustrates, be implemented in a spreadsheet.

    When surfing the site, be sure to visit the *proprietary notational
    technology* link.

    From the web page:
    "Our Website is not our Front Office. It is our Dynamic Context or
    Production Space with 'in-progress' artifacts. The Website is quite
    primitive graphically. We allocated our resources into the subject matter
    and ignored 'paint job' for now. "Maintaining consistency at all times is
    counterproductive" [Perspectives, IEEE Computer, April 2000]. The content
    that is in legacy or draft - inconsistent - state is used in instructor-led
    courses to illustrate development process by the 'in-progress' artifacts.
    Using consistent terminology in a fast changing domain is an impossible
    task. For example, we are in process of replacing term 'knowledge
    management' by 'context management' in the legacy material.
    Most of the Website content takes for granted certain competence in the
    Information Communication Technology. Therefore to minimize frustration,
    please consider starting your navigation at the Lectures or Paper. However,
    even the very best navigation strategy is not a substitute for 'learning by
    doing". Consequently, modeling a well-understood procedure could give an
    essential insight into Context Management. To simplify the model
    development, usage of an appropriate Generic Template is advised.
    Spreadsheet software (for instance MS Excel), considered as Context
    Management System 0.01, provides an experimental environment for developing
    and processing simple context models | extended spreadsheets. A more
    powerful Context Management System is needed for development and processing
    of comprehensive contexts.
    Context management is not simple. Trivial models cannot represent a subject
    matter with intrinsic complexity. Nevertheless our track record between 1987
    and 2000 ([1], [2] and GS Inc. work context) demonstrates the context
    management promise."

    Jack

    This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
    contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
    the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
    If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
    of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
    immediately.