[unrev-II] Lee's Nodal system

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 12:45:59 PDT

    I spent a couple of hours with Lee the other day,
    going over the architecture and capabilities of
    Nodal. Much of what we discussed has yet to be
    incorporated into his paper at
    http://www.ai.sri.com/~leei/OHS/NODAL-WhitePaper.htm

    But the bottom line is that I am convinced his NODAL
    mechanism is indeed a better design for the KRNL
    (Knowledge-Repository Node Layer), which I had been
    trying to construct. I eventually bailed out when the
    complexity grew overwhelming. But Lee isolated the
    defects, simplified the thing enormously, and at the
    same time added drastically new concepts based on
    Groves and abstract data modeling.

    The result, I truly believe, is a superb undertaking
    that will serve as solid foundation for the
    Engelbart-inspired tools we have separately
    envisioned -- and one that will go a long way towards
    helping them work together.

    The ambitious aim of his undertaking is to create a
    node-based "file system" that can be used by any
    application in the same way they use current file
    systems -- but which provides granular addressability,
    versioning, and all the rest to smarter applications.

    In other words, it is stone-dead killer.