[unrev-II] Computers in school

From: Dick Karpinski (dick@cfcl.com)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 19:37:47 PDT

    Nicely said sir.

    The guy who started the Macintosh is still around and he sees more than
    mice and windows. In fact I heartily recommend reading his recent book,
    The Humane Interface by Jef Raskin. (I am, myself, quoted on page 18.)

    Then too, there is the guy who wrote Engines for Education. I'll have his
    name shortly. He runs the Institute for the Learning Sciences out of
    Northwestern University in Illinois. Roger Schank.

    One of his associates developed Sickle Cell Counsellor as a rich learning
    environment. It's on permanent exhibit at the SF Exploratorium and again,
    I highly recommend trying it out. The folks there were astonished by the
    length of time it captured folks. Instead of the usual one minute, more or
    less, it captures visitors for half an hour or more. I tried it out and
    now know a lot about the subject despite my experience being years old.

    Another school use of computers is as a *minor* tool. That is, the culture
    and the educational goals are far more relevant than the details of the
    supporting computer software. CSILE, the computer supported intentional
    learning environment, is one such tool. It lets students build a hyper-
    text (including drawings) of questions, answers, and other comments about
    whatever subject is under study.

    Naturally, that reminds me of IBIS and QuestMap which would add structure
    and order to a hyper-text such as CSILE encourages. QuestMap is another
    *minor* tool which is quite neutral to the content of the questions,
    answers, and pro and con arguments input to it. Nevertheless, by the
    structure it imposes, it makes obvious that a question can be reframed or
    posed alternatively; that another answer can be proposed; that a new
    argument can be added for or against any answer/idea.

    I guess my general claim is that computers should best be used in the
    classroom, not even as a tool, but rather as a medium. Like paper or
    film or audio tape. We don't go to the theatre to watch the projector,
    but rather what it projects and the sound it plays. Still, there are
    limitless opportunities for schooling to be improved, and students to be
    placed more centrally in the process, which involve computers in some way.

    Dick

    Responding to:

    Small business owners...
    Tell us what you think!