Re: [unrev-II] Anyone know a GOOD mail list server??

From: NohoBoy@ACDSoft.com
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 06:04:01 PDT

     Paula Ashton <bella@bellalune.com> is the list
     manager on another Yahoo list. Perhaps she could
     tell you what the problem is.

    HTH

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:24:40 -0700, Eric Armstrong
    <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com> wrote:

    >Ok. I tried. And tried, and tried.
    >
    >I set up a mailing list on Yahoo groups thinking, "how hard
    >could it be?" The answer has turned out to be "damn near
    >impossible". (If anyone has any alternatives to offer, I
    >would be glad to hear of them. Or, if anyone is thinking of
    >following in my footsteps, the remainder of this message
    >might help you avoid the pitfalls I fell into.)
    >
    >Oh, it was easy enough to set up the group. But becoming
    >*part* of it is another matter. Herewith, a small litany
    >of the issues:
    > * The help documents talk about "primary" and "alternate"
    > email addresses. But there are no fields labeled
    > "primary address" anywhere -- only "alternate addresses".
    >
    > * It turns out that any address other than a yahoo email
    > account is considered an "alternate" email address.
    >
    > * So, attempting to use the "alternate" address as the
    > home address, and counting on the primary address as
    > being your work address, for example, simply doesn't
    > work.
    >
    > * It therefore appears that you need to sign up twice at
    > Yahoo -- once from your own address, and once frok your
    > work address.
    >
    > * Having created the work, I then found I couldn't send
    > a message to it! That may have been because I had set
    > my "alternate" address to my home address? Not sure.
    >
    > * To be able to send to the list, I had to send myself
    > and invitation to join, and reply to it.
    >
    > * But now, having joined as a subscriber, I now got two
    > copies of my post -- one to myself as owner, and another
    > to myself as subscriber.
    >
    > * So I deleted myself as subscriber. I was sort of hoping
    > that, having "broken the ice", I would now be able to
    > send. But no such luck.
    >
    > * The only remaining option, it appears, is to add myself
    > back as a subscriber, give my subscriber-self all of the
    > admin options possible, and delete my owner-self.
    >
    > * At the moment, I'm trying to do that. Only it appears
    > that attempts to send myself an invitation no longer
    > work, probably as a result of having deleted myself!
    >
    >God, what a nightmare.
    >
    >Finally, I have received no response whatever from Yahoo
    >to any messages I have sent, other than the very first. (At
    >this point I've sent a round half-dozen or so.)
    >
    >In short, the mailing list mechanism appears to be powerful,
    >but it is far from intuitive, and their ability to respond
    >appears to be painfully underwhelming.
    >

    >Community email addresses:
    >
    >Shortcut URL to this page:

    Secure all your Web servers now: Get your FREE Guide and learn to: DEPLOY THE LATEST ENCRYPTION,
    DELIVER TRANSPARENT PROTECTION, and More!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/VihfLB/nT7CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM