Re: [unrev-II] Thinking about communicating

From: Peter Jones (ppj@concept67.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 10:29:10 PDT

    Eric wrote:
    > Now, from the standpoint of ordinary communications, I admit that
    > sounds like a defect. But from the standpoint of carrying out an
    > IBIS-style online discussion of an issue, the restriction to
    > emotionally-neutral expression is very likely to be a positive
    > thing, especially in light of...

    Perhaps. But to dispute this point would get us into an enormous discussion
    of as yet unresolved issues with moral theories.
    For instance, many believe that it is impossible to be ethical without some
    intuitive sense of care, and that care is not a logical term in the human
    psyche.

    I would like to hear from anyone who has attempted to discuss an important
    ethical issue IBIS-style. Or even, if anyone believes they have successfully
    resolved an
    ethical issue in IBIS discussion, it would be interesting to analyse the
    discussion for
    presumed terms not explicit in the discussion transcript.

    Cheers,
    Peter