Re: [unrev-II] License Issues

From: Stephen Danic (sdanic@memes.net)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 16:41:51 PDT

    I like your idea, and similar ideas have been discussed before, most notably
    by Bruce Perens.

    Lucid Fried Eggs in it's current state is not sufficient as a repository for
    invention disclosure forms.
    Lucid doesn't provide a means to record securely the date or author's name.
    Perhaps a conventional weblog would work better for this. I believe this was
    one of the original intentions behind http://www.openideaproject.org .
    Perhaps a better place would be sourceforge.net.

    <rant>
    There are a number of problems with the Patent system. Patents cost upkeep
    to maintain. They only give holders the right to enter litigation with
    parties believed to be infringing (more expense). Patent examiners have no
    more than 8 hours to complete any given patent submission. Researching prior
    art is a small component of the total process. Examiners often don't have
    the expertise to determine novelty or non-obviousness.

    The USPTO and other global patent offices should have a mechanism for
    accepting "public patents". Or "patents for the public good". This would be
    a way to submit inventions to the patent office without fee. These would
    then be kind of anti-patents, ensuring that no one entity can hold the
    rights to produce the invention described.
    </rant>

    <suggestions>
    Submit projects to sourceforge.net for now.
    Tell two friends that the patent system is broken.
    Subscribe to patnews at bustpatents.com -
    http://www.bustpatents.com/ipns.htm
    </suggestions>

    <disclaimer>I don't work for or have any involvement with
    bustpatents.com.</disclaimer>

    ...Steve
    www.memes.net

    > <suggestion>
    > Create a DKR -- perhaps, say, http://softwarepatents.memes.net
    > -- that accumulates patents that would impede software
    > evolution.
    > Use that DKR as a home for those who would financially support
    > patent-breaking litigation -- very many of the existing software patents
    > are either:
    > completely unenforceable due to prior arts
    > obtained by the owner while participating in public
    debate
    > on the issues (e.g. web standards)
    > Use the DKR to analyze all known license agreements
    > Use the DKR to evolve newer license technologies
    > Link that DKR into the two similar web sites listed (above) at
    the
    > fsf.org web site
    > </suggestion>

    Secure all your Web servers now: Get your FREE Guide and learn to: DEPLOY THE LATEST ENCRYPTION,
    DELIVER TRANSPARENT PROTECTION, and More!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/k0k.gC/nT7CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM