[unrev-II] George Kelly's Personal Construct Psychology

From: Jack Park (jackpark@thinkalong.com)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 11:07:36 PDT

    Here is a useful starting point http://repgrid.com/pcp/
    I have yet to do another google on personal construct psychology, but I am
    aware that Mildred Shaw and Brian Gaines have been among the leaders in
    implementations of this technology.

     From the page:
    "Personal construct psychology is a constructivist system of psychology
    developed by George Kelly and expounded in his two-volume work: Principles
    of Personal Construct Psychology (New York: Norton, 1955).
    Kelly was a clinical psychologist and educator, and the primary impact of
    his work initially was in psychotherapy and education. However, PCP
    presents a complete psychological system, and it has come to widely used in
    management studies, knowledge modeling in artificial intelligence, and in a
    wide range of other disciplines. It has a rich literature in books and
    journals, and the PCP community runs a biennial international conference,
    operates a journal, and publishes newsletters from a number of PCP
    societies in different regions internationally.
    Kelly was a keen geometer with experience in navigation and an interest in
    multi-dimensional geometry. When he came to formalize his theory he took as
    his model Euclid's Elements and axiomatized personal construct psychology
    as a fundamental postulate together with eleven corollaries, terming the
    primitives involves elements and constructs.
    Kelly's "fundamental postulate" for personal construct psychology was that:
    "A person's processes are psychologically channelized by the way in which
    he anticipates events." (Kelly, 1955, p.46)
    He saw all people as "personal scientists" in anticipating the world. His
    first corollary, the construction corollary, states:
    "A person anticipates events by construing their replications." (p.50)"

    Many moons back, I built a simple knowledge acquisition tool that mimiced
    PCP, and coupled the results of sessions with that tool to an
    implementation of ID-3, an information-theoretic clustering tool (ID stands
    for Iterative Dichotomizer). The results of the ID-3 run were often hard
    to understand. There remains, I think, a lot left to do to see how far
    this combination of tools can be combined. In any case, when the
    OHS/DKR/HyperScope folks begin to think seriously about a variety of views,
    PCP needs to be considered.

    Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your Web
    site for Business" and learn all about serious security. Get it Now!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/r0k.gC/oT7CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM