[unrev-II] Offensive Against Terrorism

From: Rod Welch (rowelch@attglobal.net)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 22:30:23 PDT

    Henry,

    The piece you submitted prepared by Aamim Ansary (see below) offers thoughtful
    analysis, but does not propose a strategy, except for US ground troops to enter
    Afghanistan and round up Ben Laden. He indicates this requires neutralizing
    Pakistan, and suggests such an effort could generalize and spread conflict,
    pitting all of Islam against Western cultures. Nobody wants that, yet we want
    to take effective action, and certainly must avoid being frozen into inaction by
    scary scenarios noted in your subject title.

    Amim's argument against indiscriminate bombing of civilian targets is
    persuasive. It is conceivable that a threat could arise that justifies such
    action, but that is not the situation at hand. Others have observed that
    Clinton's cruise missile attacks did little more than rearrange some rubble.
    So, we can eliminate mass bombings and lobbing cruise missiles as the sole
    response this time around.

    A more refined strategy may be taking shape. World leaders across cultures have
    condemned terrorism, and opinion is coalescing in a way that may isolate Ben
    Laden and others involved in the recent conflagration, including particular
    governments and ex-officio rulers, as seems to be the case in Afghanistan.
    Perhaps a mixed allied force that includes US troops, along with those from
    Islamic countries, including Pakistan, can enter Afghanistan to liberate it from
    terrorists.

    Cutting off funding, supplies and escape to friendly soil may be possible. We
    are already in Turkey. Pakistan is reported to have closed it borders. The
    Russians have pledge support to the West. Iran, also, has voiced support for
    the West. If Ben Laden flees to Iraq, that would signal the world its time to
    finish the prior expedition.

    The Russians fared poorly in Afghanistan because the US and others supplied the
    opposition. At this time, it appears the Russians are siding with the US. As
    the Bush/Powell diplomacy gathers steam, induced in part by promises of aid and
    other things we don't want to know about at this time, the ability for
    terrorists would be critically reduced to maneuver and offer sustainable
    opposition to a new government that could be put in place by the alliance,
    similar to what was done for Japan following WWII.

    One reason Islamic leadership, along with a good share of Islamic followers
    could be persuaded to accept a composite force to "aid" Afghanistan, is that
    many of them have been the target of terrorism. As in the West, Islam is not
    entirely a monolith, i.e., of one mind, blindly following Ben Laden. The events
    of the past week offer an opportunity to galvanize widespread fear and disgust
    into a condominium of diplomacy and resolve that could make military action
    successful for everyone.

    My feeling is we really want Ben Laden alive, or at least his top people, in
    order to debrief them. It seems most likely that some state sponsorship is
    involved, and, if so, that very much needs to be addressed. This is the time to
    do it while popular opinion in the US in particular is open to being proactive.
    This lust for revenge will not last. Very soon we will begin hearing about
    prescription drug benefits, lock boxes, the environment, and fairness, et
    al.
    Just musing.

    Rod