Re: [unrev-II] faceted classification

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@sun.com)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 14:10:24 PDT

    "Faceted classification" was simply known as "categorization" in
    Traction.
    We've had categorization as a requirement for a long time.

    One aspect of categorizing is that your VIEW can still be hierarchical.
    For example, you start with "price" or "rating" as your ordering scheme.

    You still look at a hierarchy, but you look at one you choose.

    Categories, of course, also lend themselves to nonhierarchical views.

    Most importantly, when a mechanism as powerful as Topic Maps are
    used, then "categorizing" a thing automatically places in a variety of
    other categories, defined by the relationships of entries in the Topic
    Map.

    That is when things get really interesting, with respect to discovering
    new
    knowledge that is inherent in the data.

    Alex Shapiro wrote:

    > Read more at http://peterme.com/archives/00000063.html --Alex
    >
    > ... faceted classification, one of the most powerful, yet least
    > understood,
    > methods of organizing information. Most folks, when thinking about
    > organizing objects or information, immediately think of a
    > hierarchical, or
    > taxonomic, organization; a top-down structure, where you start with a
    > number of broad categories that get ever more detailed, until you
    > arrive at
    > the object. In such structures, each object has a single home, and
    > typically, one path to get there--this is how things are organized in
    > "the
    > real world", where each item can only be in one place. Oftentimes,
    > when
    > thinking of organizing information, a hierarchy is where people begin
    > (think Yahoo!).
    >
    > Faceted classification, on the other hand, is a bottom-up scheme.
    > Here,
    > each object is tagged with a certain set of attributes and values
    > (these
    > are the facets), and the organization of these objects emerges from
    > this
    > classification, and how a user chooses to access them. Toys, for
    > example,
    > lend themselves to a faceted classification, with the facets being
    > things
    > like, "Suitable Age," "Price," "Subject Type," "Brand," and even
    > "Character" (like Barbie or Elmo). Someone might be price conscious,
    > and
    > want to start there; another knows that the child in question loves
    > science
    > toys, and wants to begin with that. Faceted classification allows for
    > exploration directed by the user, where a large dataset is
    > progressively
    > filtered through the user's various choices, until arriving at a
    > manageable
    > set that meet the users' basic criteria. Instead of sifting through a
    > pre-determined hierarchy, the items are organized on-the-fly, based on
    >
    > their inherent qualities.
    >

    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                [Image]

    Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM