[unrev-II] Enterprise Java and open source

From: Jack Park (jackpark@thinkalong.com)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 14:56:18 PDT

    http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2001/10/10/osjava.html

    "Another problem -- and this leads us to the Lutris case -- is that Sun has
    taken the position that any licensee of the J2EE specification is privy to
    Sun's intellectual property, and can't legally release an open source
    implementation. (In particular, they have told Lutris that they may not
    apply an open source license to their Enhydra J2EE platform.)

    I'm at a loss for what to say here. Sun certainly has the right to
    interpret their licenses any way they want or to make up any licenses they
    want. This move, however, strikes me as extraordinary bad faith -- and just
    plain stupid. Sun desperately needs the cooperation of the open source
    community. Telling developers that they cannot release open source
    implementations if they have seen the J2EE spec is certainly not going to
    earn Sun any friends. I can't think of any better way for Sun to destroy
    what it has accomplished with Java over the past few years."

    Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM