Re: [unrev-II] Important Quotes

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@sun.com)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 22:01:46 PDT

    I've heard these kinds of quotes a lot, and tended to agree
    with them, but lately I've begun to wonder if they are
    confusing "garbage in" with a bad program.

    Personally, I developed critical thinking skills in college. I was
    wholly undisciplined -- as likely to get a mediocre grade on a
    course I didn't care about, as to ace a course I liked. Generally,
    it was one or the other, with not much in the middle.

    But the courses I *did* care about were philosophy, poli sci,
    and abstract math. Those courses were like lifting weights for
    my critical thinking skills. I still find myself thinking through
    the implications of design decisions as though they were
    philosophical premises, and coming up with rather good insights
    (and good programs) as a result.

    I note, too, that the originators of the quotes seem to have been
    at no great loss in the thinking department. In fact, they were
    original, insightful, and generally brilliant thinkers.

    If there was any problem with school, it is a problem that is even
    worse when it comes to life in general -- that such thinkers do not
    have the freedom to follow their intellectual curiosity to whereever
    it may lead.

    At the moment, for example, I am writing what may turn out to be
    the first really useful link checker for large, multi-user
    installations.
    The reason I'm able to do that -- because I just went ahead and did
    it. I wrote a proposal for it a week ago, but never heard back on it.
    Not that I expected to -- but they asked for the proposal, so I wrote
    it.

    When I got tired of waiting to hear, and even more fed up with the
    ridiculous excuse for a link checker we're using, I just sat down and
    got started. It's based on a utility I wrote a few weeks ago that
    lets you make mass changes to the links in HTML files, using the
    regular expression package in Java.

    The point here is not so much the cool programs (which I'm proud
    of) but the fact that the technology matured to the point that I could
    just sit down and kick them out in a week or two, without requiring
    anyone's permission to do it. That was the same basis on which I
    wrote the DocCheck utility, which is now published at Sun. (It checks
    API-comments for completeness, to be sure they adquately cover the
    APIs.)

    But the big problems, the ones we would really like to take a stab at,
    require that "permission", in the form of funding that will give me the
    freedom to devote time to them. So I am not currently making much
    headway on them.

    Now, I do note that we were moving more towards "creative schooling"",
    and that the timing was right for me to take advantage of that in
    college.
    Now that we are moving back towards a more rote education, these
    quotes may take on some of their former meaning -- as I found grammar
    school and even most of high school.

    But, in general, I think that the quality of the educational process may
    be
    more reflective of the quality of the people who purport to be
    participating
    in it. I saw many students who relied on memory and regurgitation
    strategies,
    in addition to just plain copying, to get the grades they needed.

    To blame the educational institution for the quality of the education
    they
    got is, I think, unjust.

    It probably makes more sense to blame the policies that utilize grades
    as
    selection criteria for jobs and for higher education.

    In Cambridge, if memory serves me (and it may not), I believe that one
    simply graduates, or does not. There are no grades. There are
    recommendations from one's teachers -- so the reputation of that
    teacher and the wording of the recommendation counts for a lot --
    and there are entrance examinations, but there is little reliance on
    "grades" as an indicator of performance.

    Thinking about it, that is probably a very good thing.

    Jack Park wrote:

    > Found at http://www.alike.com/html/main_html/inspirations.html
    >
    > "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." Mark
    > Twain
    >
    > "It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education." Albert
    > Einstein
    >
    > "Education is not filling a bucket, but lighting a fire." William
    > Yeats
    >
    > "Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there
    > is."
    > Isaac Asimov
    >
    > "We are students of words; we are shut up in schools, and colleges,
    > and
    > recitation rooms, for ten or fifteen years, and come out at last with
    > a bag
    > of wind, a memory of words, and do not know a thing." Ralph Waldo
    > Emerson
    >
    > "Too often we give our children answers to remember rather than
    > problems to
    > solve." Roger Lewin
    >
    > "Education is a private matter between the person and the world of
    > knowledge and experience, and has little to do with school or
    > college."
    > Lillian Smith
    >
    > "Education is not received. It is achieved." Author Unknown
    >
    > "Education, then, beyond all other devices of human origin, is the
    > great
    > equalizer of the conditions of men, -- the balance-wheel of the social
    >
    > machinery." Horace Mann
    >
    > "What we call education and culture is for the most part nothing but
    > the
    > substitution of reading for experience, of literature for life, of the
    >
    > obsolete fictitious for the contemporary real."George Bernard Shaw
    >

    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      [Choose from 1000s of job listings!]

                  Choose from 1000s of job listings!

    Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM