[unrev-II] Bootstrap's e-journal: Can we?

From: Rod Welch (rowelch@attglobal.net)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 22:17:59 PDT

    Henry,

    I believe your leadership on this matter deserves support. How many letters
    need to be organized and what is the procedure? Do we need the consensus
    ontology Jack Park called out on 000623?

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/06/23/114155.HTM#L362164

    Has anyone done anything on this so far to explain the initial subjects you
    want, e.g., what does "societal" mean? Will we be organizing the record going
    forward with these main subjects?

    Rod

    Henry K van Eyken wrote:

    > Yes, Eric, you are consistent. This follows through on the thread you started,
    > "Recommendations??"
    >
    > At that time I thought of going about things in a low-tech way by rapidly
    > sifting out the chaff from the wheat by a team of half a dozen to a dozen
    > volunteers. Each volunteer might look at a number of threads and sift out
    > those that have no merit of substance other than being social glue. We put
    > those in
    > a pile delicately called (in true Fleabyte tradition) "dandruff," which is
    > defined as the scurf of the scalp.
    >
    > While doing this sifting, the threads that are retained might quickly be given
    > provisional labels such as "OHS" or "societal" or "linguistic" or "site
    > reference," etc. Once all are done, a single person might provide an overall
    > classification (still pretty unrefined) and we can then see if we can get
    > topic-oriented volunteers to take a closer look at areas that interest them.
    > Whatever is labelled "OHS" may be combined with the stuff in the OHS-dev
    > forum,
    > then possibly sub-classified. One classification might be "toward OHS coding,"
    > another "philosophy of OHS architecture," etc. By now we get down to the stuff
    > of articles for the "handbook," to use Doug's term.
    >
    > Similarly, we may identify strains and forcefulness of societal issues. I
    > certainly am looking forward to a listing of topical URLs that we may look at
    > and
    > evaluate for a more organized editorial treatment, etc.
    >
    > I think I have said enough in the way of examples. We avoid a mechanistic mode
    > of thinking, but we may learn from the process what a mechanistic mode of
    > sorting ought be like - a good experience in itself.
    >
    > Many hands make light work. If we have, say, ten volunteers then each one will
    > take a quick look at about 400 posts. Yes, there will be misjudgments, but
    > these will come out and get recycled as we proceed. In the end we shall have,
    > besides a huge pile of dandruff, a lot of piles with good, useable stuff plus
    > the satisfaction that, compared to computers, human minds are not all that
    > bad.
    >
    > I am reminded of the army recruit given the task of putting big potatoes in
    > one pail and small potatoes in an other. The responsibility rested heavily on
    > his
    > shoulders: decisions, decisions.
    >
    > Can we get ten volunteers to spend an evening or two making a couple of
    > hundred decisions. A lousy job, but a great start toward far more interesting
    > preoccupations along the lines recommended by Eric..
    >
    > Please, sign up at vaneyken@sympatico.ca Your reward will be in Heaven.
    >
    > Henry
    >
    > Eric Armstrong wrote:
    >
    > > The thought of mining the archive to produce publications strikes me
    > > as plausible and useful. The process, as I see it, would be:
    > > a) One more editors start "carving out" articles.
> [...]

    Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM