[unrev-II] IBM announces "self-healing" systems

From: Eugene Eric Kim (eekim@eekim.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 16:30:53 PST

    IBM's e-business Management Services has announced business software that
    has some ability to "self-heal":

        http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/svfront/076589.htm

    The system borrows from technology used with Deep Blue, IBM's
    chess-playing computer, which essentially gathered as much information as
    possible and used a brute-force approach to making decision. In the
    article, IBM VP of Technology and Strategy, Irving Wladawsky-Berger, says:

        "This is really the essence of making systems behave in an intelligent
        manner... God knows if this means they are intelligent.

        "But what we really like about this, and we learned a lot about this
        in Deep Blue, is the brute force techniques of having a lot of
        information and a lot of computer power is the most effective way of
        making systems behave in what we humans would call intelligence.

        "Asking the question how well is the system doing, is not an easy
        question."

    The Deep Blue approach strikes me as being similar to Doug Lenat's Cyc
    approach, which is to give the computer as much information as possible so
    that it can make "intelligent" decisions. The problems in both systems is
    that the information must be structured in a highly-constrained manner.

    The question is, how do we take terabytes of mostly unstructured
    information, and structure it so that high-powered computers can do
    intelligent things with them? Having a small group of people spend
    decades manually structuring that information, like Lenat's team has been
    doing, is not a very scaleable solution.

    -Eugene

    --
    +=== Eugene Eric Kim ===== eekim@eekim.com ===== http://www.eekim.com/ ===+
    |       "Writer's block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they        |

    Shortcut URL to this page: http://www.onelist.com/community/unrev-II