Re: [unrev-II] Reintroduction...

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@sun.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 08:31:52 PST

    Wow. Great hearing from you, Lee.

    Its wonderful hearing about everthing you've been doing, and
    all that's been happening!

    Go Nodal!!

    Lee Iverson wrote:

    > About time I got off my butt and let everyone know what's up. First
    > things first. Hello from wet and rainy Vancouver B.C. For those who
    > haven't been following the saga (and I'm definitely to blame for
    > making that difficult) Alison, Maxwell and I moved back to Canada at
    > the end of August. Alison has a new Faculty position at the
    > University of British Columbia, and we've always said that we'd head
    > back. Seemed like a good time for it, and we were happy to be coming
    > home again.
    >
    > We are living on campus at UBC, so most everything is ridiculously
    > convenient. Alison walks to work (about 7 minutes), Maxwell and I
    > walk to his daycare (about 5 minutes) and there are cafes and even a
    > golf course just around the corner (sweet). Maxwell has transitioned
    > well into his new life here (a wonderful daycare and a very lively
    > bunch of kids to play with in our apartment complex) and is busy
    > making every effort to learn how to read. Alison has been busy
    > writing grant proposals and teaching a (can you believe this) a
    > hands-on nursing skills lab for this first semester. The only thing
    > that can really be said is that almost anything else will be easier.
    > But she is generally pretty excited and exhausted.
    >
    > Comes to me, I guess. The plan when I left SRI was that I would
    > continue to work on a part time basis on existing projects and any new
    >
    > opportunities that came up. Seemed like a fine idea at the time and I
    >
    > actually spent the last two weeks in CA writing a proposal for
    > continuation of some of the Digital Earth work. To make a long story
    > short, that arrangement hasn't worked out. The AIC is in a pretty
    > deep financial hole, progress in getting money out of Washington
    > drastically slowed down in September, and a big NSF proposal that we
    > submitted in February was just rejected. I'm still officially on
    > leave, but it does seem as if my time with SRI is really pretty much
    > over.
    >
    > That said, I haven't been sitting on my hands. I've been doing a lot
    > of reading, research and coding. I'm continuing work on the NODAL
    > design and prototype(s) (see http://nodal.sf.net if you're curious)
    > and been making a lot of contacts here in town. At this point, I've
    > submitted applications to both UBC (Dept. of Elec. and Computer Eng.)
    > and SFU (CS). I've been in contact with a number of local companies,
    > given a couple of talks, and established a relationship with the New
    > Media Innovation Centre (an brand-new kind of Media Lab Canada). In
    > fact last week I had a very productive visit with the CS Dept. at SFU,
    >
    > on Tuesday I had a full day interview for a faculty position at UBC,
    > and yesterday a sit down with NewMIC executives regarding funding and
    > interaction opportunities. So, I'm actively moving forward and things
    >
    > are actually looking pretty good. With the kind of work I'm
    > interested in doing, I'm pretty happy at the possibility of a faculty
> [...]

      [Choose from 1000s of job listings!]

                  Choose from 1000s of job listings!

    Clever Cam is a pen sized digital camera, webcam, and mini-camcorder. Just $79.95 at Youcansave.com.
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/F11sED/NkNDAA/ySSFAA/IHFolB/TM