Re: [unrev-II] Traction Work Product on Categories

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@sun.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 14:08:05 PST

    Rod Welch wrote:

    > ...the IBIS question of the day is why doesn't powerful category
    > capability in Traction enable better intelligence?

    Ah. From the standpoint of IBIS, what Traction is missing is good
    hierarchical
    structuring. For lists, it's great. You can search on categories and
    make lists.
    But for a structured discussion, you are missing the kinds of
    hierarchical
    relationships that say, "this is a repy to that".

    Note, too, that IBIS-style plus/minus categories are a function of the
    *relationship* (or context), not the node. So if I say,
           "bubble sort can be implemented quickly, but doesn't
            perform well for large sets of mostly-unordered data"

    that statement is neither a positive or a negative, on its own. It is
    a "knowledge nugget" that can be reused in a variety of contexts.

    But when I establish a context like one of the following:
       a) We need a sort for 10 or 15 items that the typical user will
            enter on our web site, and we need it yesterday.
    or
       b) We need a sort for the 150,000 items in our database, that
            will operate nightly.

    Then the bubble-sort information above can be considered as a
    positive in one case, or a negative in the other.

    Traction had little in the way of hierarchical structuring, so you
    could create lists of options under design questions, and no
    ability to categorize the resulting relationships.

    However, they set the interface standard for how categories
    should operate.

    Pogo Stick - Just $24.95!
    Great gift idea for kids of all ages, from Youcansave.com
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/t5NeUC/QkNDAA/ySSFAA/IHFolB/TM