[ohs-lc] OHS Launch Community post-mortem

As you all know, the OHS Launch Community was scheduled to expire on
December 31, 2001 or earlier.  I am happy to say that it will be earlier
-- tomorrow, in fact.    (01)

There have been many going-ons within the Bootstrap community, most
notably, some major reorganizations within the Bootstrap Alliance.  I will
be sending a formal announcement regarding this later tonight.    (02)

These changes affect us in a very direct way.  BA is establishing an OHS
Working Group (OHS-WG), similar in spirit to the working groups of the
W3C, OASIS, and similar organizations.  We have been endowed with the
authority to create the official specifications and standards for the OHS.    (03)

The OHS-WG bylaws were approved yesterday, November 8, and are available
at:    (04)

    http://www.eekim.com/ba/cpc/ohswgbylaws.html
    http://www.eekim.com/ba/cpc/ohswgbylaws.pdf    (05)

The OHS-WG is based heavily on the Launch Community, with some important
differences:    (06)

    + The OHS-WG is an official member community of BA.    (07)

    + We have a framework for proposing and voting on the official OHS
      specifications and standards.    (08)

    + Participation will be open to everyone, whereas voting on
      specifications will be limited to members.    (09)

The basic processes and motivations are spelled out in the bylaws,
although I will be happy to delve into them further over the mailing list.    (010)

I will be chairing the OHS-WG, and am working to put together an advisory
board.  We have not agreed on who the initial set of OHS-WG members will
be, although I am pushing for the members of the OHS LC (i.e. everyone on
this list) to make up this initial group.    (011)

For the very near future, the only really visible change will be with this
mailing list.  Beginning tonight, we will be merging the ohs-lc and
ohs-dev mailing lists into a single, open list.    (012)

Thank you all for your active and constructive participation these past
five months.  I have found the discussion provoking and the various
projects exciting.  This group has played a significant role in the
creation of an official community process for developing the OHS
specifications, and for that, I thank and congratulate all of you.    (013)

I will gladly answer any questions anyone may have, and I welcome comments
and feedback.    (014)

-Eugene    (015)

--
+=== Eugene Eric Kim ===== eekim@eekim.com ===== http://www.eekim.com/ ===+
|       "Writer's block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they        |