[unrev-II] Augment/NLS license for port to Squeak/Smalltalk?

From: Paul Fernhout (pdfernhout@kurtz-fernhout.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 19:11:38 PST

From: Paul Fernhout <pdfernhout@kurtz-fernhout.com>

Bootstrappers -

There was a question at the end of the third session about the code
status of the Dec20 emulator for a port to Linux (which Doug said is
owned by a private individual).

A slightly different question is, what is the status of the existing
Augment/NLS code itself? Is Augment/NLS still proprietary to
Tymshare/McDonnell Douglas? And if so, could the be persuaded to put it
under an X-like license?
http://www.software-carpentry.com/mit-license.html

Here is why I ask:

I have some experience translating code and creating VMs. Depending on
how Augment/NLS was written, it is possible that with some effort I
could create an Augment/NLS VM that would support Augment/NLS
interaction on top of something like Squeak Smalltalk.
http://www.squeak.org
This would allow anyone to use Augment/NLS where Squeak runs (and Squeak
runs practically everywhere - Mac, PC, Linux, Acorn, WinCE, Unixes.) It
might be a nice step in bootstrapping an OHS/DKR tool, and would allow
people who currently use that system to keep using it indefinitely.

I would be interested in at least evaluating the complexity of this task
(if I was legally allowed to make an open source system from
NLS/Augment).

I think it could be a fun project, and certainly a great learning
experience.

To do this evaluation, I would need an example Augment/NLS database, a
user manual, and any technical documentation on the Augment/NLS data
file format.
If the license permits, is any of this lying around or downloadable from
the web?

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the open sourceGarden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com

Independent contractors: Find your next project gig through JobSwarm!
        You can even make money by referring friends.