Re: [unrev-II] Augment/NLS license for port to Squeak/Smalltalk?

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 12:30:56 PST

From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>

Marcelo Hoffmann wrote:

> There is a question whether it would make sense to reverse engineer
> the code, or more likely, incorporate the lessons into new code that
> is architected and engineered with more flexibility.... and here I am
> truly out of my element....

I'm inclined to believe that is the ideal option. Implementing in Java
creates a system that will run on most anyone's computer. Using XML as
the basic data system stands to simplify some of the coding and provide
much of the required functionality, as well.

Speaking of XML. At the end of 3rd session, Jon Bosak made the
intriguing statement that his original goal for XML was for use in
DKR-style projects, but that the original vision was reduced quite a bit
in committee, which produced XML as we know it. (Jon: Please correct any
inaccuracies.)

As I left, I realized that his simple statement begged a tremendous
question:
   * How would XML be different, in the ideal world, so as
      to enable projects like this?

It could be that we need a KML (Knowledge Meta Language) to do an
adequate implementation of a DKR. I would be enthralled to hear Jon's
thoughts on the subject.

Independent contractors: Find your next project gig through JobSwarm!
        You can even make money by referring friends.