RE: [unrev-II] DKR and Collaboration

From: Bernie DeKoven (bernie@dekoven.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 08:53:32 PST

From: "Bernie DeKoven" <bernie@dekoven.com>

Thanks, Rod. I understand and appreciate the connection.

My interest is in nurturing a dialog about new human roles and skillsets
that will need to coevolve with the evolution of the DKR.

The technographer is one such example. It refers to the facilitation of
real-time gathering and synthesis of information that takes place during a
computer-augmented meeting. The skill of the technographer rests on both
social and technological mastery -- human and computer processing -- to
engage people in a dialog towards the production of a document that reflects
their common knowledge and wisdom. Doug was experimenting with this in the
60s, and though he apparently became very adept at facilitating on-line,
real-time collaboration, he never, to my knowledge, identified the skillset
he was employing. This skillset is what I have come to call technography.

There are other related skillsets. The on-line moderator or on-line
facilitator who works to maintain effective dialog in chats and discussion
groups is of real significance to our exploration of the human side of DKR.
Nancy White (http://www.onlinefacilitation.com) is one of my prime referents
in this art. Her website and discussion group
(http://www.egroups.com/group/onlinefacilitation) are excellent resources
for anyone interested in exploring the dynamics of this new role. Howard
Rheingold has identified a role he calls "Cybrarian." The Cybrarian helps
create needed connections between conversations and other on-line resources.
For more on this, join Howard's "Brainstorms" community
(http://rheingold.com/community.html).

By the way, I was very impressed by your use of hypertext, and how you
integrated that into journaling, etc., and would hope you share more of that
with us -- how you arrived at that, why, what tricks you use, what new
skillsets you've evolved in doing so....

http://www.CoWorking.com ----- Bernie DeKoven ----- http://www.DeepFun.com