Re: [unrev-II] William Kent's book "Data & Reality" / Vitamin example

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 14:26:00 PST

From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>

Paul Fernhout wrote:

> <BIG snip>
> I've been working towards my own implementation of this in a variety
> of ways for almost twenty or so years (before I encountered Kent's
> work - although "Data & Reality" definitely clarified my thinking).
> The system
> I am working on is called "Pointrel" for "Pointers and Relationships".
> It's what I sharpen my programming claws on.

I ordered the book. It's $94 through Borders, but looks to be well worth
it.
It certainly seems to have the flexibility and expressive power required
for an abstract knowledge system. I'll join you in thinking about
implementations.

I'm fundamentally wedded to the Java Virtual Machiine as a runtime
engine, due to its ubiquity and ongoing development. And it probably
makes sense to implement an outer GUI in Java, as well. But for the
internal functions, the choice of language is unclear (to me). What have
you learned from your experiments to date?