[unrev-II] Re: Mike T. & Eric A.

From: johnwerneken@netzero.net
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 18:25:23 PST

From: johnwerneken@netzero.net

Eric: MBTE a good example of public decisions - heart may be
in right place (or not) but details messed up.

I suggest expanding the Market. Let all of us be owners of
that water and then let us sue the leakers. Common law would
evolve to put a price on our MBTE-flavored water. With a
price on this activity, the oil distributors would move
towards fixing leaks or using another method besides MBTE -
and the price would give them an incentive to solve the
problem in the most cost-effective way.

Or think big and let all of us own the air. Then we could
sue and get a price placed on the original polution and
collect from auto makers, oil companies, and maybe road
builders and land developers. This might force a better
(cheaper) solution than gas additives.