[unrev-II] Required Reading?

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2000 - 18:13:11 PST

From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>

For those who plan to be involved in the development
of the Stage I DKR ala' Adam Cheyer, I'd like to
propose the following introduction to the IBIS method:

    http://www.gdss.com/IBIS.htm

This document is brilliant exposition of the IBIS principles.
It is also extremely readable. (It was written by Jeff
Conklin as a manual for using the MapQuest system,
which adds automation to IBIS. More of his papers can
be found at http://www.gdss.com/WP.htm)

Although I've had some difficulty seeing how to apply it
to the broad spectrum of discussions that appear in this
forum and in the colloquium, it appears to be perfectly
suited for system design discussions.

We may be able to carry on a reasonable facsimile of an
IBIS-discussion in email, too. More on that in a moment.
First, I'll give a quick summary of some of IBIS' general
principles.

Some General Principles
-------------------------
Possibly the most useful general principle I got out of the
IBIS discussion was the principle of never supplying
*answers* but instead *alternatives*, and always
under the banner of a *question*.

The goal of the system is to tackle "wicked projects",
which have the interesting characteristic that typically
no one agrees on what the real problem is. (Sound
familiar?)

Especially when disagreements occur, the key, it
appears, is to raise the general question, identify
the named alternatives -- leaving room for *other*
alternatives, and then investigate the alternatives,
secure in the knowledge that one's own pet idea
has been recorded and will receive it's share of
investigation. (Who was it that told me about that
at the colloquium?)

The effect on discourse is remarkable. Instead of
competing for attention to one's view, there tends
to be a more relaxed, cooperative investigation of
the possibilities.

Personally, I have always admired those folks who
seem to be able to manage the stress in a room and
get everyone to think rationally. Frequently, I've been
one of the stressor/stressee's, and have always
marveled at those few precious individuals who
have managed to get me thinking about the problem
from all angles. The IBIS system seems to shed
remarkable insight on how they accomplished that
trick.

IBIS in Email
--------------
To summarize the IBIS system, you have questions,
and proposed answers under them. Under each
proposal you have pros and cons. There are other
information entities, as well. Let's start with these,
for now, and see how a facsimile of the IBIS system
could be replicated in email.

First, we'd have to start by coming up with a convention
for identifying messages. For a start, let's consider
using:
    Q: Question