Re: [unrev-II] Am I the only dummy around here?

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 16:19:16 PST

From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>

Henry van Eyken wrote:

> I think the following link gives you a superb BBS format -
> reverse threaded and with multiple topic areas. And excellent
> for those with slow connections:
> fast - fast - fast:
>
> http://kappa.pair.com/~fatal2/desktop/
> One there, click in "View" in the menu bar, then on Fuji BBS.

I wasn't impressed until I checked the "View" you mentioned.
Then it came up with the right kind of threaded view.
I could do without the screen blinks when it refreshes, though.
It's a Web interface for a standard Newsgroup format, and the
necessity for displaying a whole new Web page causes the jarring
blink.

What I saw from a quick glance is the same thing I see in an
online "forum" or standard newsgroup.

The nice thing about the standard NewsGroup format is that it
can be accessed in Netscape messenger using the same windows
you use for mail. In fact, it was NewsGroup browsing in
Netscape that got me into using Messenger in the first place.

There are many other client apps for accessing such newsgroups,
as well. What I like about Messenger is the ability to see
the messages organized by thread, as in the page you suggested,
but without the page blinks. In addition, you can change the
display order of the threads, and you can go to the next unread
message, which makes it good for browsing.

There is still no sense of reduction or versioning, but it's an
improvement. It looks like email, it functions like email, but
it adds archiving.

Hmmm... Maybe what we really need is a servlet front end for
Augment that makes it a *NewsGroup*. Maybe?

FREE ADVICE FROM REAL PEOPLE! Xpertsite has thousands of experts who
are willing to answer your questions for FREE. Go to Xpertsite today
and put your mind to rest.