Re: [unrev-II] DKR/OHS: 5 Authoring Requirements

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 11:29:30 PST

From: "Jack Park" <jackpark@verticalnet.com>

----- Original Message -----
From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>
<vast snippage/>
> TBD: Should node types be pre-defined? If they are, it
> prevents one person from specifying "Design Idea" while
> another specifies "Design Note" or "Design Topic".
> Without that regularity, it becomes impossible to ensure
> that a query has accessed all the relevant information.
> On the other hand, on-going investigations into "wicked
> problems" may need to organize as they go. So it may be
> best to allow node-type creation on the fly.

It would seem to be prudent, here, to give thought to all the efforts to
build an ontology for the web. The underlying notion seems to be that
without a consistent ontology, the web might just grow into an unsearchable
maze of information. With one, the web might become a gigantic knowledge
base.

With that view in mind, I would suggest that the design process, in every
instance possible, look to the idea of an interlingua, a common ontology on
which all users can base their actions. Creating node types on the fly,
IMHO, flies against the winds of usability.

Just my 0.02 euros
Jack Park